Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pitts2e Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2009, 03:53 PM
    Lawn mower does not charge battery
    Hi,

Like so many, I have a John Deere 260 mower. Battery does not charge. Replaced the $62 regulator. Then the $100 stator today. I put in a new John Deere battery exactly one year ago. I looked at it today. I see whatever the problem is, smoked the battery, as in one cell dry and the rest low. I am not sure where to exactly test anymore. Is it possiable my stator was bad last year and it evevtiually cooked my battery? Is there anyway to test the charging system with crappy battery? If I jump start it, it will run, but can't engage electric clutch to blow snow etc... lost
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Dec 26, 2009, 10:34 AM

Hi,
    You will need to begin with a known good battery. You should check its voltage to get a starting point. Then check the AC output of the stator. Generally between 26 and 36 VAC oulput. Then chack the DC output going from the regulator. It can be measured at the battery terminals. It should be 14.5 to 16 VDC with the engine revved.
    The likely scenario is that the stator was feeding AC to the battery before to ruin it.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a battery charge rectifer on a riding mower? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 22hp Kholer engine on my yazzo mower that isn't charging the battery.It only show 12.5 volts when engine is running.This started happening when I changed the ignition switch.Could I have wired it wrong.It start on a newly charged battery.I do not see any fuse.What is the correct wiring...

Murray riding mower will not charge battery [ 8 Answers ]

We have a 2003 15.5 HP Murray Riding Lawn Mower that does not charge the battery. We have checked all connections and grounding points which did make a noticeable difference. We have installed a new starter solenoid, correctly. We have a good 14 volts dc output from the stator but only 10 volts...

My snapper mower battery will not hold its charge [ 2 Answers ]

I will give details to my last question. I have a Snapper rear engine riding lawn mower. It is a "series 23" with a 12.5 hp Briggs engine. The battery keeps losing its charge. I have replaced the battery with a new one. The first time that I mowed it cranked fine. The next time that I needed to...

My snapper mower battery will not hold its charge [ 1 Answers ]

I will give details to my last question. I have a Snapper rear engine riding lawn mower. It is a "series 23" with a 12.5 hp Briggs engine. I have replaced the battery. The first time that I mowed it cranked fine. The next time that I needed to mow, it would not turn over, only a clicking sound. I...

View more questions Search