Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jxl0gru Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 09:42 AM
    Rolling viens
    I use to have "great veins", the blood donation clinic use to love seeing me come through the doors. The couple of months ago, I needed to have blood work done at my doctor's office. The nurse in the lab had a very difficult time sticking my veins, they kept rolling on her. Since, she was new to the office, I just decided it could have been lack of experience. Fortunately, I am not a squeamish person, and am not afraid of needles. Then, I had to go to the ER cause of a terrible migraine. First, they found my blood pressure very low, 95 over 60, and I had been vomiting all morning. So, they decided I needed fluids, in addition to pain meds intravenously. Yet, it took two nurses, one on each are to try and get into my veins. Every time they entered my skin, the veins would disappear. What could be causing this? Is there something that I can do to help prevent this in the future?:confused: Jen
    pumibel Posts: 84, Reputation: 16

Nov 14, 2006, 07:00 PM
    I am not a medical expert, but I have heard that dehydration can make your veins hard to stick- I don't know if they "roll" or collapse. I had that problem when the nurse was trying to give me IV fluids for dehydration, and he said it was common to have problems getting a vein in that state. I had the low blood pressure, too. That was how the DR determined I needed fluids.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 14, 2006, 07:05 PM
    Yes, the answer you have is pretty accurate. Dehydration and low blood pressure can cause rolling veins.
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Nov 18, 2006, 11:44 AM
    "Rolling veins" is a common excuse used by inexperienced technicians when they have trouble sticking a vein, but if you have little subcutaneous fat and connective tissue, the veins will tend to move and may be harder to stick unless anchored externally by the phlebotomist. This is often found in the elderly and those with chronic illnesses. Likewise, too much subcutaneous fat and connective tissue can make the veins hard to find and difficult to stick. People who have had numerous IV's and venipunctures may have scarred or thrombosed veins that are problematic too. And, as stated above, dehydration and low BP can make veins hard to stick since they aren't as distended as normal. Generally, you will find that those who only occasionally stick patients (ie. In most doctors offices) will have more trouble than those who do it multiple times a day (ER's and dedicated labs). Practice doesn't make perfect, but it does help the odds of success. If possible, always tell them that you can be difficult to stick and ask for their most experienced person.
    kitten1977 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2012, 06:54 PM
    I am unable to give you an answer except that I do know dehydration does make it difficult for nurses to be able to insert an IV and possibly difficult for lab technicians to draw blood as well. However I do experience the same problem and do not know why. Lately I had to go to the ER due to very extreme pain of which I thought was caused by a burst ovarian cyst, well I found out I am dealing with uterine fibroids, kidney stones and a UTI... they hooked me up to an IV with difficulty to give me more fluid on top of what I normally drink in a day (I drink about 2 to 2 1/2 Liters of water a day)to try and help the kidney stone with its passing... the following evening I was back in the ER due to a severe migraine and found they had to hook me up to an IV to administer pain medications for migraines along with an antinauseant, however yet again and took the nurse 4 tries before she ended up able to use the crook of my elbow because nowhere else would work. I was far from dehydrated but yet still difficulties for blood work and IV insertion. One can see my veins well and clearly, (and unfortunately are small) they just however prefer not to have forgein objects poking into them (really I can't say I blame them... it hurts like hell every time they poke and dig and leave massive welts and bruises behind)... for me, I chalk mine up to genetics... for you ma'am, might I suggest talking to your doctor about the situation, he may have more insight for you as to why your veins disappear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rolling the hips [ 1 Answers ]

Hey you! I waz just wondering if you could tell me how to "roll ur hips" when your trying to do a toetouch! Please help me and expkain it god! I love you 4-ever if you do! Lol!

Rolling Pin ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question that my friends and I have been wondering about. Is there a proper name for the rolling pin. Please let me.

Rolling stones and super bowl [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how much the rolling stones will be paid for super bowl xl?

View more questions Search