Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikki_22979 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 08:45 AM
    Compulsive lying for Sympathy and Attention
    I am a 27 year old mother of 3 boys 2, 5 and 8... I have recently split up with my husband after accusations of molestation from my then 14 year old sister. I have been on and off again with my husband since the accustions. I feel guilty that I have stayed with my ex at times since the accusations.. I don't know who or what to believe since then.

I constantly feel depressed... I feel like a fool.. but hide it from people.. but yet find myself lying about other things... things that are really bad... ie telling everyone that a friend had a baby that died... not so much to get sympathy for myself.. but more to get the attention off the subject of my younger sister and my husband... Im getting sick of hearing it all the time.. it hurts like hell and have trouble dealing with it. My family knows that I have lied about my friends baby.. I need help but don't know where to go or what to say... Is this normal.. has anyone ver felt like this before.

I also think I have an eating disorder... for the past 4 years or so.. I have on and off again made myself sick after eating... the last year or so its got worse.. Iv started taking laxatives to flush my system out... I know its wrong but I can't stop.. I get terribly grumpy if I don't do either of them and am severely stressed about my weight.. I have put on about 15 kilos since my last child 2 years ago.

Can you please try shed some light on how to get help with this
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2006, 08:55 AM
    Have you considered visiting a physcologist?
    pumibel Posts: 84, Reputation: 16

Nov 14, 2006, 07:25 PM
    Yes- please see a psychiatrist. The initial discomfort you may feel on the first visit is nothing compared to the emotional suffering you are already feeling. There are so many ways they can help you nowadays. You deserve to get well- don't tell yourself otherwise!
    My prayers are with you.
    amazing Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Hi,
    I would definitely agree that you had experienced some kind of child-hood trauma in your childhood years and because this would follow with some of the things you have said but I think getting some therapy will be the very best thing that you can do. We all have our own
    Histories and we have all lied to some degree at some point in our lives, but it is good to make sure that it doesn't become a compulsive habit. Lying is also another symptom of trauma.
    marey Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Mar 5, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikki_22979
    I am a 27 year old mother of 3 boys 2, 5 and 8...I have recently split up with my husband after accusations of molestation from my then 14 year old sister. I have been on and off again with my husband since the accustions. I feel guilty that I have stayed with my ex at times since the accusations..I dont know who or what to believe since then.

I constantly feel depressed...i feel like a fool..but hide it from people..but yet find myself lying about other things...things that are really bad...ie telling everyone that a friend had a baby that died....not so much to get sympathy for myself..but more to get the attention off the subject of my younger sister and my husband...Im getin sick of hearing it all the time..it hurts like hell and have trouble dealing with it. My family knows that i have lied about my friends baby..i need help but dont know where to go or what to say...Is this normal..has anyone ver felt like this before.

I also think i have an eating disorder...for the past 4 years or so..I have on and off again made myself sick after eating...the last year or so its got worse..Iv started taking laxatives to flush my system out...I know its wrong but i can't stop..I get terribly grumpy if i dont do either of them and am severley stressed about my weight..I have put on about 15 kilos since my last child 2 years ago.

Can u please try shed some light on how to get help with this
    hi
    it seems to me that your feelings have been left out of this equation... it must have been awful for you to cope with accusations against your husband, and hurt to your sister... so you are needing attention and help. Therefore you are making up stories to get attention that you really do need.
    see if you can see a psychologist to talk this over and restore your self-worth. That on its own will help with eating problems and how you feel and generally how you can control your behaviour.
    I think you should move quickly, as I know my sister has acted in a similar way for many years, and now has lost all credibility because of her lies. She has also lost most of her friends.
    good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lying for sympathy, getting attention or just because? [ 19 Answers ]

I always make it seem like something is wrong when its not. Why do I do this, am I the only one? I'll even make up stories about my life or my past, things that don't make me look better but worse, or make my life worse. Why? I know I'm doing it but I still do it... in many different ways..? ...

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder [ 3 Answers ]

I believe I have OCD. I read something about it and I have every symptom or whatever they're called and I don't want to be like this. Is there any kind of medication I can get for this? Thanks.

Lying [ 1 Answers ]

I have a very bad problam with lying to my husband about every thing even the little stuff like what I had to eat for lunch and stuff like that, this problam is leading my marriage into the ground I need help CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE

Get the coach's attention [ 4 Answers ]

The only way I can describe basketball and me is, pure love. I play any chance I can get and I'm always spraining my ankles because of that. I play for an all star team, and I also play in a recreation league The problem I have is making the school team. I try my hardest. I dive for balls and do...

View more questions Search