Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bpeck Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 08:29 AM
    Doggy Bed Wetting Issue
    Hi,
    I have a 2 yr old female Black lab (Dakota)that I adore.
    She has slept on our Cal King bed with my husband and I for the past 2 years. She is very spoiled (by me). We have another dog (Holli, 3-1/2 yrs old) that sleeps on the floor, next to the bed.
    Recently we found a huge wet spot on our bed right after we let Dakota in the house after being outside for a few hours. She was on the bed laying next to the wet spot but had our doubts that she would have peed on our bed, especially since she sleeps up there too.
    Last night my husband got in bed and Dakota jumped up there as she always does.
    She snuggled up to my husband and then got up, walked to the end of the bed, squatted and peed (in front of him!)
    I heard him yell at her and I came out of the bathroom. Both of us were completely shocked. Why in the world we she do this? Our other dog that sleeps on the floor is completely content.
    I put Dakota in the garage for the night after this incident and you could tell she knew she was in trouble.
    I even slept restless because I am so used to her on the bed by my legs and I was worried that she was cold in the garage. But I stayed firm and did not bring her in the house.
    Our neighbors recently got a puppy across the street that had been coming over quite a bit, but it has been about a week and a half since the puppy has been over, so I kind of ruled out jealousy.
    With the weather getting bad I haven't been playing ball with her as much.
    Is she angry at us?
    Help!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2006, 10:27 AM
    I doubt there is a physical problem, but it is easy to rule out with a vet visit. Exactly what goes on in those furry little heads is hard to say. It looks like she is maturing and challenging your position in the pack. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/ For more on being top dog, see http://www.dogbreedinfo.com./topdogrules.htm

Although letting the dog sleep with you works for many people, it is the first thing that has to go in cases like this. Who sleeps where is a big thing to dogs. The bed high, soft, and the choice of the big dogs. Obviously the choice spot.

She needs an alternative spot. Consider a crate, it will prevent any other nonsense, more marking or shredding. In our modern society, even if we are home, other things distract us from the attention an uncrated puppy must have. The only real solution is to crate the dog when you aren't around. The dog may be happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave
    Anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any
    Bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, may take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at
    Feeding time for more than one dog.

The "shut the puppy in a safe room" is a fallacy. Very few houses even have a
    Safe room. How many of us have a room with a hard surfaced floor and nothing
    Else? Most rooms have electrical cords to chew if nothing else. In addition
    To destroying anything a bored puppy finds to chew, it may choke or have
    Intestinal blockage from the pieces. I had a friend that left her dog in a
    "safe" room. It ate a hole in the floor covering. The safe rooms fail to
    Give the dog the comfort of the enclosed space their instinct requires. Nor
    Do they restrict activity extending the time the dog can go without relieving
    Itself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bed-wetting [ 33 Answers ]

:( Does anyone have any advice on what to do about bed-wetting? Here's a little history: -We have a seven year old boy who continues to wet the bed every night. (Almost, there are a couple of times a year he goes without doing it. He's even gone up to about 4 days without then all of a sudden...

Whiney doggy [ 6 Answers ]

My 2 year old lab is driving me insane!! For the past couple of weeks, he's been following me around all day long, whining. I go to the laundry room, he follows, watches me put the clothes in, and whines. I go to the washroom or have a bath, he comes with me and whines. I go to the kitchen to cook,...

My Dog & Adjusting to Doggy Daycare [ 6 Answers ]

I have a one year old male yellow lab who is very rambunctious and loves to go and play with other dogs but has problems settling down. He is fine is we leave him at home and we crate him. He never cries at night when we go to bed and put him in the crate. He is a bit hyper I guess but the vet...

Doggy Kitty Question [ 5 Answers ]

:rolleyes: I have a 2 yr old male Shih Tzu and a 6 month old female domestic short-haired cat. The two are the best of friends. They sleep together, try to share food, they play. They're adorable. But how do I keep my Shih Tzu from humping the kitty? And the Kid? And the Neighbors? He...

Funny Doggy [ 2 Answers ]

Hiya, My 4yr old black labrador Deefa has starting behaving rather odd. He's quite a nervous dog anyway but recently he keeps coming up to either me, my parents or my sister and crying as if he wants something, we give him fresh water, food, cuddles etc etc but he still doesn't settle. This...

View more questions Search