Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jonka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2009, 06:14 PM
    Plumbing question, Winter vacation, turn off the Gas water heater or not
    Going on a two months vacation in Jan and Feb. Home in NJ, should I turn off the Gas Water Heater and drain it ore not?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 23, 2009, 06:20 PM

You can set water heater thermostat to VACATION setting. That means the pilot will be On but will not activate the burner. You can close main water valve to the house and open one faucet to release pressure. That should do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater pilot light goes out in the winter [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I'm not sure what is causing the water heater pilot light to go out. It doesn't happen at all in the summer, even during times of high wind. It only goes out in the winter. This started happening at the end of last winter. I realize I should have had it checked out at that time but when...

Water main off, water heater vacation, leave recirc pump on winter? [ 3 Answers ]

Leaving Las Vegas house for 10 days in January - basically want to insure no pipe freeze (many in outside walls) without draining entire house. The house will remain heated to ~55Your Question Title: Please enter your question title with only 85 characters long. Describe Your Question ...

Vacation water turn off [ 1 Answers ]

I am going South for 6 weeks (live in upstate NY). I do not know if it is wise to turn off the water supply to my house or to just turn off valves to the washing machine and ice maker. I will be turning my (gas) hot water heater to the lowest setting. I am quite sure that no pipes will freeze...

Selling house: turn off water heater/water in winter [ 1 Answers ]

I am in mid-Michigan where winters can be long and cold. I am selling a house, which is vacant, and I am looking for advice on if I should drain the water pipes and turn off the gas water heater during the winter months. I would rather not pay high gas bills to heat water that I am not using. The...

Hot water heater - vacation [ 1 Answers ]

I want to shut off my water supply while I am on vacation. I plan to put the gas control valve on "pilot" while I am gone, and let the pilot continue to burn. Is this OK? Should I open a hot water faucet in the house to relieve any possible pressure buildup due to thermal expansion? The heater...

View more questions Search