Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laotika Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2009, 06:08 PM
    Where is a good location for a hot water tank on the main water supply line
    I have moved my hot water tank to a new location in the basement. The new location is closer to the main water line. The best way for me to describe it is; from the street to my house to the water meter and from the water meter I have 7ft. Of 3/4" pipe. I want to run a 1/2" pipe to my hot water tank first. And than to the rest of the house. So this is possible and the right thing to do.

Thanks,
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 23, 2009, 06:21 PM

Water heater should have at least 3/4" incoming cold water line. Also, outgoing hot water has to be at least 3/4" inch.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2009, 07:49 PM

The output of he hot water heater needs to be near the point of use to minimize energy consumption. Ours used to go under the basement to get to the most used stuff.

3/4 in. 3/4 out at least most of the way. Fixture drops should be 1/2, but the trunk should be 3/4.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 23, 2009, 08:57 PM

All good advice here. The shorter you make the hot pipe coming from the heater to more efficient it will be due to heat loss as the water runs down the pipe and warms it. Shorter runs are best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Supply line won't stop running. Main water supply off [ 3 Answers ]

I was doing some bathroom remodeling and attempted to remove an old supply valve. It would not budge so I decided to cut the copper tubing underneath it and put on a new shutoff valve with a compression fitting. The problem is that water just kept coming out of that supply line. The main water...

Shutting off hot water heater and main water supply [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a cabin that has well water and a hot water heater that is run off the oil furnace. I shut off the well tank when I left but forgot to shut off the hot water heater. Does anyone know if I can damage the heater by having the main water shut off and leaving the water heater on?

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Can I shut off water supply to leaking hot water tank? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I shut off water supply to leaking hot water tank?

Clogged main water supply line [ 1 Answers ]

After repairing a leak in my main water supply line, I have low water pressure throughout the house. When, for example, I turn on the sink, pressure is normal for about five seconds, then it gets progressively weaker. It does not stop altogether, however it is very weak. Clogged line perhaps? ...

View more questions Search