Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Derekvb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2009, 04:46 PM
    What is the difference between the boiling points of water and liquid nitrogen
    Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius liquid nitrogen boils at about -196 degrees Celsius what is the difference between the boiling points of water and liquid nitrogen?

Dec 23, 2009, 04:47 PM

Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius liquid nitrogen boils at about -196 degrees Celsius what is the difference between the boiling points of water and liquid nitrogen?

Dec 23, 2009, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by derekvb View Post
    water boils at 100 degrees celcius liquid nitrogen boils at about -196 degrees celcius what is the difference between the boiling points of water and liquid nitrogen?
    :d:d
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2009, 05:16 PM

Hello D:

296 degrees.

excon
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2009, 08:24 PM

If you're asking what is the difference between them that makes them having such different boiling points, then you have to have a knowledge of hydrogen bonds present among water molecules which hold them tightly together.

Moreover, a water molecule is polar, and not a nitrogen molecule. Those two effects both contribute (hydrogen bonding more) to the boiling points you can see.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the opposite substance to liquid nitrogen? [ 1 Answers ]

What really is the opposite to liquid nitrogen? Instead of getting very cold what gets very hot?

Looking to Buy Liquid Nitrogen [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking to purchase a supply (1 bottle) of liquid nitrogen like you See in the Dermatologist's office. If anyone has any ideas/comments or suggestions please let me know, George in SF [email protected]

Liquid nitrogen [ 2 Answers ]

Can I buy in ISRAEL liquid nitrogen? If yes where can I buy it?

Liquid nitrogen [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I get liqid nitrogen in Union City, CA or Fremont,CA or Newark, CA or in Hayward, CA

Liquid nitrogen [ 8 Answers ]

Does any body know where I can get some liquid nitrogen in Alabama

View more questions Search