Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    broadwayltd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 07:06 AM
    Wrongful termination
    My former employer, fired me for allegedly violating a security rule. I was terminated for plugging a non corporate portable into the Corporate network. I have been using my Macintosh openly, for over NINE MONTHS, in plain sight of all my peers and management and no one ever told me to stop. Several managers, including the two who released me looked over my shoulder several times while I was trouble shooting issues from my Mac. I use this portable as my main source of information as all my notes for doing my job are on this machine. I only have this machine because JPMC does not supply internet access or home pc's for employees when they are on call. It was used only for business. The last six months of my employment, I was on call every day. Literally all day 24/7 as there are only two people managing the TSM backup systems for Card Services. I have received great performance reviews and until the day before I was fired there was NEVER any discussion or written orders to stop using my MAC at work.:confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2006, 07:15 AM
    My question is; was there a published rule about use of non corporate equipment before you started using this machine? If so, and you started using the machine without getting express and written permission then you probably do not have a case.

Any case you have hinges on what positions your managers hold with respect to corporate security. If they are not involved in netowrk security. Then its probably the security people were not aware and just caught on. While they should have defended you, they were probably more concerned for their own jobs. However, if those reposnsible for network security were aware of your usage and didn't take immediate action, then you might have a case.

However, most states do not have laws governing wrongful termination except in cases of discrimination (age, race, etc.). Unless you can show probability that your termination was due to one of those factors instead the stated reason, you don't have a case.

Bottomline is I recommend consulting with an attorney familiar with this area.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2006, 07:51 AM
    Hello broadway:

Yup. They did you dirty. No question! But, as Scott mentioned, in the absence of discrimination, or a union, or personal employment contract, you're out of gas. Your employment is covered in the law by the term "at will".

That means, that even though they did you dirty, they had a legal right to do so.

They can fire you, but they can't lie. Keep your eyes on them. Ask them for a letter of recommendation. See how they respond to your application for un-employment insurance. See how they respond to employment inquires from future job prospects.

excon

PS> It seems to me there's another reason why they canned you, and used the Mac story as an excuse. But, you'd know more about that than I would.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2006, 08:27 AM
    First, please use PMs or e-mail for correspondence of a personal nature. I prefer to keep the discussion in a thread public.

I'm not saying what they did was right. And there may have been other reasons not being said. But, you should have asked first. Since you appear to be an IT tech (as I am), I know I would never put hardware or software on my company's systems without permission.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Apartment Termination [ 5 Answers ]

I live in the Ethans Apartments in KAnsas City Missouri. I am being tansferred to Iowa for my job. My wife is staying in the apartment until the end of December, and the lease is up the middle of March. The landlord told me that a job transfer is a vaild reason to break the lease. Now they are...

Illegitimate Termination? [ 4 Answers ]

This question is not actually for me, but for my dad. He is 47 and has been working for an international company for 16 years. Up until the last year everything was going fine at his job, he got promoted, mostly because he is a work-aholic. My parents are divorced, and even being younger, going to...

Wrongful and fraudulent trading and banks [ 1 Answers ]

Hi How these concepts: wrongful and fraudulent trading act in favor of the bank when dealing with a company? Could you please support your answer with british case law? Many thanks!! :cool: Patrick

Termination of At Will Employment [ 1 Answers ]

If an at will employee is terminated by their employer for cause and investigation finds that there is no evidence to support the claim, can that employee then sue the employer for wrongful termination given that the employer could not supply evidence to show just cause?

View more questions Search