Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tdls1234321 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2009, 04:31 AM
    Sau-Lan has a mass of 47 kg. She rides the up escalator at Ocean Park in Hong Kong. T
    Sau-Lan has a mass of 47 kg. She rides the up escalator at Ocean Park in Hong Kong. This is the world's longest escalator, with a length of 227 m and an average inclination of 31°. How much work does the escalator do on Sau-Lan?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2009, 04:38 AM
    Hi, tdls1234321!

Are you looking for a direct answer to the question, or for someone to come along to advise you for how you might come up with the correct answer yourself, please?

Thanks!
    tdls1234321 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2009, 04:40 AM

Advice would be appreciated! Thank you :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2009, 04:47 AM
    Hi again, tdls1234321!

Thank your for letting me know that! Now, the best people to help you to understand how to answer the question might not be online here or might even be asleep.

So, it's a matter waiting for the best person to come along who can address your question. That can take some time and patience...

Too many times, we have students coming on here just looking for direct answers. That's not the way that this site works.

I'm glad that you're looking for how to solve the question rather than just looking for the answers.

Thanks!
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2009, 07:57 AM

What is work?

It is moving an object and is given by the product of the force acting on it, and the displacement in the direction of that force.

It's asking you what is the work done by the escalator.

Well, it's applying a force on Sau Lan and she is moving upwards, along the inclination.

What you need to know is:
    1. The force acting on Sau Lan
    2. The displacement Sau Lan experiences, which is in the direction of the force acting on Sau Lan.

~~~~~~

Another way of looking at it:
    The work here also refers to the energy that the escalator used. Applying the law of conservation of energy, the energy used by the escalator is gained by Sau Lan.

Sau Lan gains only gravitational potential energy when she is on the escalator. How can you find that energy? (Using the formula E=mgh)

~~~~~

Either way, you get the same answer. I leave it to you to do the job now. :)
    mathwiz3502 Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2009, 09:57 AM

Although it is a simple machine I believe that you should find the height of the escalator, you already have a hypotenuse, right angle and another angle (31). And with two angles you know the other is 59

So the height would be the shortest "side" and is in between 90 and 59.

Does this help?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hong Kong TVB JADE channel? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know where to find a free live stream on the internet of the TVB Jade channel. I am looking for a place where I can watch all the TV series, news and stuff. I only understand Cantonese so TVB cantonese would be preferred. Thank you

Tax treaty for JI visa holder from Hong Kong [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I study for 5 years in USA for F1 visa and plan to start another job in USA as J1 visa. My place of birth is Hong Kong. It is part of China now. Am I eligible for tax treaty and exempt from tax for 2 years? Thank you, Bill

Hong Kong Business fax or email [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please assist me in finding a fax number or preferably, an email address for Eralda Industries, Ltd. In Hong Kong. I know they are located at Gateway in Tsim Sha Tsui and the telephone is 852-2956-1228.

View more questions Search