Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amgel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2009, 10:49 PM
    I'm doing bsc biotechnology.in which shall I do msc,then phd.I want to be a scientist.
    I'm doing bsc biotechnology.shall I do msc in biotech only and want to do phd also.I want to be a scientist.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2009, 10:42 PM

If you want to be a "scientist" you need nothing more than a want for knowledge, and preferably a significant amount of knowledge in one or more "schools of thought."

If you want to be an active part of the research field, then I would recommend a PhD. Generally the higher your degree, and the more of them you have, the more your work and job will be recognized.

Don't get me wrong, there are exceptions to this, but generally the leading NASA researcher isn't holding a BA in chemistry.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2009, 12:29 PM

It's also a good idea to write in complete sentences and use capitalization. I am not sure what "n want to do phd also" means.

You do want to get a PhD? You don't want to?

If you want to be an academic scientist--a professor--you have to have a PhD. If you would be happy working in a research lab under someone else, then you are probably safe with just a masters. In fact, there are lots of people who just have BAs who make a career in science.

If you are super ambitious and want to run a lab at a big company, you should probably get a PhD. You might even consider an MD/PhD program or getting an MBA.

In between is everything else.

What area of bioscience most interests you? It's a big field. Are you thinking of the pharmaceutical industry? Genetic engineering? Proteomics? Biophysics? Even if you don't know yet, start thinking about topics that you like best so that when you apply to graduate schools you are thinking in terms of researchers who can help you achieve your goals. Don't choose by school, but by professor or at least by the quality of the department.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are carieer in TY BSC[BOTONY]? [ 0 Answers ]

Or option for tybsc

About bsc mathematics [ 2 Answers ]

What job opportunities I will have, if I have done bsc mathematics at university?

Is Bsc useless? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am Aditi from Mumbai and I have just completed my Hsc Board Exams.After lot of thinking I have decided to take Bsc in Biotechnology as genetics is one subject that interests me a lot.But people say that Bsc has no value at all . Is it so ?

View more questions Search