Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 14, 2006, 05:17 AM
    Installing shower or tub on concrete slab
    mattp
    New Member Join Date: Nov 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am getting started on installing a full bath in my basement and I am some what intimidated by the tub/shower situation. I have a rough in for the tub drain and toilet already. Drain pipe is coming out for concrete almore 1 ft and same with toilet drain. I want to install a fiberglass shower 32X32 but not sure if I have to dig up concrete. Would I have to dig up concrete or could I build so step up into the shower. Or can I just put a regular tub in and not have to break any concrete. How will I know if a p trap has been put in the line. Under the concrete? I guess I could just open the top where it is seal and see what it looks like right? Thanks for your expertise.

Regards

MattP
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 14, 2006, 12:55 PM
    Hey Matt,
    Unless you have a square cut out in the cement then you have a shower rough in. To install a tub you would have to move the smaller pipe 15 1/2" out from the wall and build another wall 1 1/2 inches in front of it. To test to see if a trap's installed under the cement pour a gallon of water down the trap. Now take a sitck and measure how wet it is when you put it to the base. You should have 4 inches of water on the end if there's a trap under there. If not then you have a problem. I see no mention of a lavatory stub up. Don't you plan on a sink in your bathroom group? If so where is it? As for a 32 X 32 inch shower pan I don't have enough information on the distance and placement of the raiser to comment. Good luck, Tom
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving drain in custom shower, whirlpool tub and toilet on concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am finalizing plans to update a master bathroom that sits on a concrete slab. My question is: can shower, whirlpool tub and toilet drain holes be moved without drilling into the concrete? If so, what is the maximum amount that the holes can be repositioned without having to drill? I would...

Installing a toilet in concrete slab [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, This is a great forum. I was wondering if you could offer me some advice? I am converting part of my garage into a bathroom. I will be busting up the concrete and running a new 3'' pipe for the toilet. My question is regarding the vent. How far away can I be really? There is an existing...

Installing a bathtub on a concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a toilet in the basement with proper vent. I want to add a bathtub near the toilet. After I jackhammer up the concrete and install the tub trap and drainage into the toilet drain, how do I seal the floor under the tub? The outside part is open and it should be easy to pour concrete mix and...

Hooking up drain for shower/tub on concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a unfinished bathroom in the basement on a cement slab. The rough in plubming is in place with a about a 12x12 hole in the cement. How do I hook up the drain to the Ptrap. I do not have access from the side wall. Do I need to cut an access hole in the adjacent room?

Installing a bathtub on a concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a tub to existing plumbing, but it's on a concrete slab. We've jackhammered the concrete so that I have enough room underneath to put in the drain and p-trap, but am I going to have to buy the tub, set it in place, hook up the plumbing and then remove it to replace the concrete?

View more questions Search