Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alyeska Posts: 44, Reputation: 0

Dec 22, 2009, 06:18 PM
    Paper birch in Mississippi?
    Dad and I have a property in Mississippi (Pike County, by McComb), and I would like to bring small paper birches from Alaska to plant there. Would they live?:rolleyes:
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 07:58 PM

How to Grow and Maintain a Healthy Birch Tree

According to this site paper birch would not do as well as say River Birch in your area.

I have both White European Birch and River Birch in my yard. I am in Ohio. Both species do quite well in my yard as I have moist soil having the water table near the surface. When it rains my yard has nice big puddles in the grass. When I first planted my White European Birch clump of 7 trees, I watered them every day. When it was a drought condition in the summer heat I watered them all day. I have a big cement ring around them and the water pooled and made a nice bird bath for the robins. That clump is 7 years old and about 35'+ tall. The river birch I planted 3 years ago are growing like weeds. The one I planted this past May almost doubled in size. It's on that rainwater pool area in my yard and should get quite tall.

Once the trees are established you don't have to water them as much like when they are young. Having shallow roots means you just need to be more diligent in keeping them watered. As long as it's in a moist condition I'm thinking they should survive if given attention when they are young. The part about bringing them from Alaska has me worried. Be sure that they are properly potted in a pot with soil and not just in a burlap bag wapped sort of an arrangement or they possibly won't make it. The best way is to put in a pot and let it grow for a few months prior to transporting to Miss.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2010, 07:19 PM

Just so you know... ( I am currently becoming a forest technologist) paper birch and white birch are one and the same.. and you can acquire white birch from anywhere in canada... depending on where you are located in the states one of the provences in the maritimes or around there would yield you a better genetic quality white birch.. due to growing conditions in Alaska you might have a problem with them adapting to the soil type and composition in your area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

White birch tree [ 1 Answers ]

Our tree looks sick, I watered it today with about 4 gallons of water. The tree guy came to prune and trim it. He said they don't do well in hot climates. He said it may eventually die. Its over 5 yrs old. I live in Maryland. What can I do to keep it alive... it offers shade to my front window...

Move away issue in Mississippi [ 14 Answers ]

My husband and his ex-wife have joint legal custody as outlined in their divorce decree. They have 2 girls age 6 and 10. She is moving to Fort Worth to re-marry. We have recorded conversatons expressing our wishes not to have this happen as instructed by our attorney. According to state law,...

Mississippi Law [ 1 Answers ]

Scenario: A thriteen year old child is charged with Capital Murder in Mississppi. He is charged, prosecuted and convicted as an adult. He receives a 50 year sentence. The State's attorney claims (publically) that the boy was offered a plea deal from the day of his indictment up to the day...

View more questions Search