Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alyeska Posts: 44, Reputation: 0

Dec 22, 2009, 06:14 PM
    Kind of owl?
    I am curious what kind of owl it is. I heard it at night in Alaska (Fairbanks Area), in wintertime.
    It sounded like hoo hoo hoo hoo, hoooo hoooo
    First few hoos were fast, while the last two or three were long.:confused:
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2009, 12:12 AM

I went to this website:
    Short-eared Owl, The Alaska Owlmanac, Alaska Department of Fish and Game
    It says 10 species of owl live in Alaska. Not all of them live near Fairbanks.

The ones that live near Fairbanks are:
    Boreal owl
    Great grey owl
    Hawk owl
    Great horned owl
    Short eared owl

If you go to the website and read the description of each owl's voice, you might be able to figure out which one. I'm betting great horned owl, because your description sounds like a great horned owl that lives near my house in northern California.

The boreal owl is " soft trill of constant pitch" which sounds wrong. Four more to go. Have fun!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kids cartoon movie with n Owl teling a storie about ants [ 1 Answers ]

Help me name this movie I'm going crazy. There is this drunk owl telling a storie to his nefews about the battel of the red and black ants. There is a lead girl ant . I think named wiamina, who is in love with the other color ant. Ring a bell any one? :confused:

80s film with owl [ 1 Answers ]

I can remember in the early 80s watching a children's adventure film, there was a girl standing in what looked like a dessert, next to a tree with a weired owl in it. I recall going to a exhibition about the film also...

View more questions Search