Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    070780120982 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2009, 05:41 PM
    Kohler k181t on log spliter dies under load when hot
    I have a k181t on a log spliter and it dies under a load when it is running after 10-15 minutes.It runs great frist pull when cold and splits great intill 10-15 minutes then dies only under load. After that it will not start intill it cools down a bit and than it will die as soon as you put a load on it.no black smoke no white smoke. New plug,plug wire,coil,condenser,carb,air cleaner,gas tank,gas line, gas filter,gas! Plug is wet when it dies but it does not have strong gas smell like if it was floaded. Its more like oil but it never smokes.its also wet if I use the kill switch.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Dec 22, 2009, 07:48 PM

Hi,
    That engine was notorious for blowing head gaskets.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Dec 22, 2009, 08:04 PM

I have pulled the head off.gasket looked fine.I'll replace it. At this point I'll try anything! Can it run good intill hot with a blown or leaking head gasket?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Dec 23, 2009, 04:43 AM

Hi,
    Yes it can, though it will usually have tell tale signs. The K91 is the worst, but the 181 is bad too. When the engine reaches "temperature" it can leak because the bolts lengthen that haold the head on.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Dec 23, 2009, 03:00 PM

I replaced the head gasket(the shop I went to was surprised they had one in stock and so was I )and torked it to 25 instead of 20. I also replaced the points and condenser with a electronic ignition.(I had it already)It runs great under a load so far but if I had to bet, I think it was the head gasket.I can't split any wood yet because there is a foot of snow over it!I can't thank you enough. Marry Christmas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman lawn tractor Kohler cranks, backfires then dies [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 8 yr old 15.5 Kohler engine Craftsman ride on mower that cranks for quite a bit, then starts, backfires then dies. I have changed the sparkplug which made no difference. Any tips? Dennis

Kohler bogs, detonates, dies at full throttle [ 5 Answers ]

Back in Aug. 2007 P51D had a problem with a 16 HP Kohler. His description of the symptoms is so perfect, I'm just going to paste it: I have a 2003 John Deere LT 160 with a single cylinder 16HP Kohler. It was mowing fine on Saturday. On Sunday, when I started it, it backfired several times,...

Kohler 23 HP Cub Cadet Dies at 1 minute [ 2 Answers ]

My GT3100 Cub cadet starts up just fine, but after about 1 minute, it dies like the safety switch has engaged. It has a kohler 23 HP engine. I checked the only know safety switches I have (seat, etc) and they seem to be OK. It will start right back up, run for 30 seconds, and die again. I am...

Cub Cadet GT3100 Kohler 23 Dies after starting [ 1 Answers ]

My GT3100 Cub cadet starts up just fine, but after about 1 minute, it dies like the safety switch has engaged. It has a kohler 23 HP engine. I checked the only know safety switches I have (seat, etc) and they seem to be OK. It will start right back up, run for 30 seconds, and die again. I am...

View more questions Search