Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stephen P Schmitt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 03:48 AM
    Refinance
    Our 1rst mortgage is a 5 yr ARM which will expire in about a year and a half. Our house has increased in value approx. 150 - 200 thousand $s. We bought it for 280 and owe about 195. We owe about 39 on our home equity loan. We want to pay this off, and we are in need of approx 75 thousand more.

Will refinancing our mortgage allow us to achieve this goal?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 14, 2006, 08:43 AM
    Sounds like it. From what you are saying, your more is valued at more than $400K. You therefore have about $200K in equity. So you should be able to refinance for about $300K and pay off the existing debts and get some additional cash out.

However, I would be cautious here. The Real Estate boom seems to be leveling off if not dropping back a bit. So that 400K may decrease cutting further into your equity.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Nov 14, 2006, 11:34 AM
    Now would probably be a good time to roll out of the ARM , while rates are still very low by historical standards. The rate cap for your first change could be 2%, or 5% depending on the product. Depending on what the appraisal comes in at, be sure to limit the Loan To Value (LTV) at 70%. FNMA charges .5% (1/2)extra discount points for a cash out refinance from 70.01% LTV- 80% LTV and .75% (3/4)extra for 80.01% LTV-90% LTV.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How soon can you refinance after escrow? [ 5 Answers ]

To get a lower interest rate do you have to wait a certain period to refinance a home after escrow close? Or can you refinance right away? I live in California. Thanks

Should I Refinance [ 1 Answers ]

Work's been tough the past year and I got behind on my mortgage as well as evey other bill. I HAVE ABOUT $35,000 WORTH OF EQUITY in my home. I was wanting to cash out $25,000.00 to catch up and finish a few projects around the house. Here's my problem. I've shopped around and since I've been...

View more questions Search