Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aceliven Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2009, 03:52 PM
    How/What forms to use for immigrating spouse.
    Hello,

My wife should have her green card as of January 2010 thereby making her a legal permanent resident alien (at the time of filing.) At the present time (during this entire tax year *2009*) she has been a nonresident alien. I am a natural born U.S. citizen. The two of us live together and have lived together at the same address for the last several years, and we were married last spring. She has spent 95% of her time in the United States last year (340+ days). My first question is what should she file as (and which form should be used) resident alien(1040) or nonresident alien (1040NR)? My second question is in either circumstance can we file jointly? Finally, she has earned a very limited income this year. At what point (her maximum income) may I or may I not claim her as a dependent?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 23, 2009, 07:44 AM
    She should file Married Filing Jointly with you and submit a statement that she chooses to be treated as a resident alien for all of 2009.

By filing jointly, she is NOT your dependent; she is your co-filer. This is better than filing as a dependent because you get to claim the JOINT standard deduction of $11,100.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost 2007 tax forms in mail. Spouse does not reside in US [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have 2 questions: 1) I believe that my 2007 Federal tax forms were lost in the mail as IRS does not acknowledge the receipt of my forms. Can I send my 2007 tax return forms along with the ones for 2008? 2) I am on a F-1 status. My spouse does not reside in the US, but visits me on a B-2...

Tax forms for F1 to H1-B and spouse of H4 [ 5 Answers ]

I was on F1 till November 2008 and then on H1-B for rest of the year. I got married around the time I changed to H1-B. I have been in US since Aug 2006 and for more than 31 days in 2008 on H1-B. My spouse is on H4 with me in the US. Here are some of the questions I have: 1. What tax forms...

H1b with H4 spouse - August 2007 arrival - Which Taxe forms? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, I realize this topic is queried on occasion, but I have not seen an answer to the particular question I have in mind. I'd greatly appreciate some guidance. I'm H1B and my wife is H4 and we arrived in the U.S. (from Canada) in August 2007. Since I don't fall under the 183 day rule, I...

View more questions Search