Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dschurder Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 02:54 AM
    Inflation linked bonds
    How do CPI linked bonds react (price and yield) to increases in expected inflation in both the short term and long term?
    dschurder Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 03:14 AM
    I'm going to attempt to answer my own question- will someone please tell me if my reasoning is correct!

In the short term, increases in anticipated inflation will raise the price of short term inflation linked bonds, as they protect you against the increased inflation, so yield goes down. Long term, the increased inflation in the short term has basically no effect, e.g. an extra 1% inflation in one month time will not make a lot of difference in 20 years. So it behaves like a normal bond, a reduction in price due to the increased nominal interest rate and hence an increased yield.

AM I CORRECT?!
    posheak Posts: 51, Reputation: -1

Nov 14, 2006, 01:09 PM
    Wow, economics!
    Suppose there are two bonds; Bond A that gives you a 10% annual yield and Bond B that offers a CPI+5% yield. As long as your inflation anticipation is 5%, you should be indifferent between these two bonds. Now let's suppose the expected inflation in the market went up to 12%. In this case Bond A isn't a profitable investment tool, consequently all investors will sell their A-Bonds until the yield rises (price falls) to a satisfactory level. In B-bonds there won't be an immediate selling pressure since the yield is automatically adjusted by the CPI indexed return. However, in the long term investors who see more uncertainty (and risk) due to higher inflation may ask for higher spreads and this +5% may not be sufficient for them. Therefore, some sales may be seen.

Makes sense?
    Have a great day

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help w/ bonds and interest on them [ 3 Answers ]

You don't have to give me the answer if you don't want, I would really appreciate knowing how to figure this problem out. Doran Co. issued $40 million face amount of 11% bonds when market interest rates were 11.14% for bonds of similar risk and other characteristics. A. How much interest will...

Smoking has been linked directly to sexual dysfunction inmen [ 1 Answers ]

Maybe once, maybe more... You started feeling the time was right, but for whatever reason, you're smoking again. Now, you're asking whether it's worth it to try quitting again. You bet it is! Smoking is a dangerous and self-destructive habit. Various poisons contained within tobacco smoke cause...

View more questions Search