Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prakd Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2009, 10:43 AM
    The icici bank account held by my father and me jointly has been held. What to do
    My father and I have a joint account in icici bank. All the money in the account is of my father. I had defaulted in icici credit card. The icici bank has held the account. What my father can do?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 11:09 AM

As long as you are a coholder on the account (and you obviously are) the money is considered to be owned by either one of you. He COULD retain an Attorney in an attempt to PROVE all of the money is his but I don't think it's going to work.
    prakd Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2009, 11:17 AM

He had deposited money recently. My father has all proof. Can they still hold the account
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2009, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by prakd View Post
    he had deposited money recently. my father has all proof. can they still hold the account
    You're saying that your father has retained every single deposit slip for every cent that he ever put into that account? While not impossible, I find that highly unlikely.

Why were you on your father's account to begin with?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 22, 2009, 11:45 AM

Joint account means all moneys are shared, either of you could have made a withdrawal, right. This means each of you own the money equally no matter who made the deposit. I think you are stuck.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by prakd View Post
    he had deposited money recently. my father has all proof. can they still hold the account

Did you read what I said? As long as YOUR NAME is on the account ALL of the money in the account can be taken to pay YOUR debt.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2009, 03:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Did you read what I said? As long as YOUR NAME is on the account ALL of the money in the account can be taken to pay YOUR debt.
    No, apparently reading the answers today aren't something that people feel like doing. Case in point:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/small-...nt-427322.html
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 22, 2009, 05:39 PM

And showing the bank is not the issue, he will have to file a motion in court with his attorney to release the funds to him,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax refund held in frozen account for I can't get a reason [ 5 Answers ]

Yes I had my federal tax return direct deposited in an Account Now Prepaid debit card account it was around 7000 and it deposited OK and it used the card 2 times at like just a gas station for like about 100 and it stopped working the next day said it was declined I was like no that is not right so...

Interest earned on ICICI NRE account - Is it taxable in th US? [ 5 Answers ]

I work in the US (H1-B status). I have an NRE account with ICICI bank. I have some questions regarding this. a. Is the interest earned on this account taxable in the US? If so, what are the forms that I need to fill out for this? b. Should I declare this account information to the IRS while...

Taxes on interest of certificates of deposit (CDs) held jointly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I really need some help figuring out this situation: If two people (A and B) jointly owns a CD and A is the principal holder of the account: Which of the following is true: a) Both A and B are liable for the taxes on half of the interest from the CD b) A is liable for all of the...

Bank account held by creditor [ 2 Answers ]

I found my bank account with a zero balance, Friday night, $1600 was missing. I called the bank and they said there was a judgement against me and my account was attached. I went to the bank the next morning and all they gave me was a phone number of a law firm they would not give me any...

Judgement with my bank account what happens to the money held? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me for an old medical bill, they froze my account and took the money out, if I pay them in full does that money that was froze get put back into my account?

View more questions Search