Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DV8edAngel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2009, 10:37 AM
    How to restore my iPod
    I got my iPod nano 3rd gen from a friend who had a Mac, and I have a Windows PC. The iPod is not formatted for my computer. I know I have to restore it, but when I connect it to my computer, it is not recognized by either iTunes or My Computer. I need to know if there is another way for my computer to recognize my iPod.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 10:53 AM
    Well there's this but it assumes you can see the iPod in ITunes:
    How do I reformat a Mac-formatted iPod for Windows? :: Free Tech Support :: Ask Dave Taylor!

Maybe you can start from scratch and uninstall your iTunes then download and install the latest version of iTunes for Windows. In all the links I checked iTunes is supposed to recognized even a Mac formatted Nano.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Dec 22, 2009, 11:02 AM

I don't think it's that your iPod isn't formatted for your computer. There is probably something wrong with your usb port if it doesn't come up in my computer. Have you been able to use the usb port for anything else?
    Try these tips:
    iPod not recognized in 'My Computer' and in iTunes for Windows

Dec 22, 2009, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Well there's this but it assumes you can see the iPod in ITunes:
    How do I reformat a Mac-formatted iPod for Windows? :: Free Tech Support :: Ask Dave Taylor!

Maybe you can start from scratch and uninstall your iTunes then download and install the latest version of iTunes for Windows. In all the links I checked iTunes is supposed to recognized even a Mac formatted Nano.
    Oops. I didn't see this before I answered. I guess you ccan reformat it first.
    DV8edAngel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2009, 01:11 PM

OK, so I uninstalled itunes, restarted my computer, and then installed it again. Still nothing. My iPod shows that it is charging, I just can't get my computer to recognize it. Any other suggestions?

Dec 22, 2009, 07:00 PM

Maybe you can try downloading one of these:
    The first link is for reseting the iPod.
    The second is an updater.
    Apple - Support - Downloads
    Apple - Support - Downloads
    Hope this helps
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2009, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DV8edAngel View Post
    ok, so i uninstalled itunes, restarted my computer, and then installed it again. still nothing. my ipod shows that it is charging, i just can't get my computer to recognize it. any other suggestions?
    Does any computer recognize it? At the very least Windows would recognize something plugged in the USB port and assign a letter to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

System restore won't restore [ 5 Answers ]

Can anyone help me to restore to earlier point, each time I try it goes through motions then say canot restore.:confused:

System restore - unable to restore [ 2 Answers ]

I have tried to use the system restore. It keeps coming back cannot be restored. I have created a date and then tried to restore and still says it is unable to restore. Any suggestions?

System restore [ 13 Answers ]

Hi everbody, am using xp2 sp2 home ed. I tried to access system restore to switch it off temporarily to be met with the message:turned off by group policy,to turn on contact your domain administrator! Went to services where it was showing as stopped,tried to start itgot the following message:sys...

View more questions Search