Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sgarka Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2004, 07:40 AM
    hooking up drain for shower/tub on concrete slab
    I have a unfinished bathroom in the basement on a cement slab. The rough in plubming is in place with a about a 12x12 hole in the cement. How do I hook up the drain to the Ptrap. I do not have access from the side wall. Do I need to cut an access hole in the adjacent room?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 17, 2004, 12:04 PM
    Re: hooking up drain for shower/tub on concrete sl
    What is the material already roughed in? PVC? Cast Iron? What size? Is there a pipe coming into the hole? Are you asking how to connect the trap to the tub or to the drain line? Where does the wall line come in conjunction with where you wish to place the trap. (Hint) The center of the trap raiser wants to be about 1 1/2" off the front wall line and about 15 1/2" off the side wall line. See the rough in spects for your tub. If the plumber roughed for a tub then you shouldn't have to open up a side wall. However you will have to have about a 14"X14" access hole in the wall directly behind the tub drain to connect the tub to the trap. I realize you will have more questions so ask away. Cheers, Tom
    sgarka Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2004, 12:40 PM
    The material is PVC and it appears to be 1 1/2 to 2" I need to check. The pipe runs straight in to the hole from the wall where the drain side of the tub would be. so I am unclear whether this was roughed in for a tub or a shower. It seams like it would be difficult to attach a ptrap and get the center of the trap riser 1 1/2" from the drain wall. I the drain pipe is about 18" off the side wall.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 17, 2004, 02:58 PM
    You have options here. If you want to install a tub/shower you will  have to (1) build out the wall line to 1 1/2" center of the trap raiser and move the trap over 3 inches or break cement back to when you can position the trap or (2)  figure on building a tile shower stall to the existing rough in.  Your call.  Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installation of a shower stall on a concrete slab [ 6 Answers ]

How is the drain of a shower stall connected to the ptrap that has been roughed in, in a concrete slab during new house construction to make a water tight connection? The ptrap is PVC.

Moving drain in custom shower, whirlpool tub and toilet on concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am finalizing plans to update a master bathroom that sits on a concrete slab. My question is: can shower, whirlpool tub and toilet drain holes be moved without drilling into the concrete? If so, what is the maximum amount that the holes can be repositioned without having to drill? I would...

Bathtub Drain concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

I'm just finishing up the basment. The bath drain is roughed in. My problem is the rough-in is on the wrong side. I want the bathtub installed with the plumbing fitures on the same wall as the toilet. Can I run a drain line under the tub?

Shower p-trap - concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I have already poured a 6 inch thick concrete slab for a shop floor. During the slab construction a 3 inch pvc rough stubbed drain was put in the concrete to act as the shower drain (from the shower to the septic tank line). I realized after the fact that no p-trap was placed within the slab; only...

Using existing tub drain line in concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a new whirlpool tub in place of an existing conventional tub. The old sink drain terminates into a concrete slab. The new sink drain will be at least 2 feet from the old. What are my options? Is there anyway of tieing in the new drain into the old drain without taking up all the...

View more questions Search