Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leslie Jett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2006, 08:46 PM
    What should I do ?
    I am Leslie Jett. And I have been having some issues with my leasing company. I originally signed a lease for a three bedroom apartment on September 8, 2006. Upon doing the walk through we realized that we were given the incorrect unit. We were then told that another unit would be ready on September 13, 2006. We signed the lease for the correct unit and moved in. On the very night we moved in we realized that the unit had an major infestation problem of roaches. We didn’t stay the night in the unit we stayed in a hotel. The next day we went to the leasing office to complain, about the problem. We were told that they would have someone come out and spray the unit. Once the unit was sprayed it still didn’t solve the problem. We again went back to the office to complain. We were told that we would be given another unit. W were put off for several weeks with problems with the unit. Finally we were told that we would be given a three bedroom townhouse for the same price. After a few weeks of being put off for a few more weeks. Once we signed the new lease on October 17, 2006 we realized before anything was moved in that the unit had roaches as well. We asked at this point to be let out of the lease. We have gotten no response from the leasing office or the corporate office. We were then told that for the month of November that we would have to pay full rent. I thought that you were only charged for the days that you occupied the unit. We paid $ 504.00 upon move in originally in September. When we signed the new lease in October we should have only been charged for 15 days. What happens to the $ 175.50 left over from the original monies paid ? I want to get out of my lease due to the health problems (Asthma ) that my children have. What do I need to do. No one at the corporate office or the leasing office will assist me. Thanks
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 13, 2006, 09:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Jett
    I am Leslie Jett. And I have been having some issues with my leasing company. I originally signed a lease for a three bedroom apartment on September 8, 2006. Upon doing the walk through we realized that we were given the incorrect unit. We were then told that another unit would be ready on September 13, 2006. We signed the lease for the correct unit and moved in. On the very night we moved in we realized that the unit had an major infestation problem of roaches. We didn’t stay the night in the unit we stayed in a hotel. The next day we went to the leasing office to complain, about the problem. We were told that they would have someone come out and spray the unit. Once the unit was sprayed it still didn’t solve the problem. We again went back to the office to complain. We were told that we would be given another unit. W were put off for several weeks with problems with the unit. Finally we were told that we would be given a three bedroom townhouse for the same price. After a few weeks of being put off for a few more weeks. Once we signed the new lease on October 17, 2006 we realized before anything was moved in that the unit had roaches as well. We asked at this point to be let out of the lease. We have gotten no response from the leasing office or the corporate office. We were then told that for the month of November that we would have to pay full rent. I thought that you were only charged for the days that you occupied the unit. We paid $ 504.00 upon move in originally in September. When we signed the new lease in October we should have only been charged for 15 days. What happens to the $ 175.50 left over from the original monies paid ? I want to get out of my lease due to the health problems (Asthma ) that my children have. What do I need to do. No one at the corporate office or the leasing office will assist me. Thanks
    Take some time and look for another place to live, be prepared to move, then write the corporate office, with a copy to the manager of the complex where you live, send the original "certified, return receipt requested" and demand a refund of what you feel is fair, set a time limit for company to respond, otherwise let them know that you will take necessary legal action. Call small claims court, find out if the money you are planning to sue for is within the limits that small claims can handle. If so, and they fail to respond as you wish, then file in small claims court. Take the action you promised them in your certified letter timely, then let the Court decide. I am no attorney so if in doubt consult an attorney in your area more familiar with the legalities if you are unsure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search