Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schwing Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2004, 11:05 AM
    PVC PLumbing in mobile home
    I have PVC water supply lines that screw right onto the faucets. I have to turn the house water supply off to change a washer is there a way to add a shut of valve? Can I simply cut the line and use a hose clamp to attach a shut off valve and then use braided metal hose to go up to faucet?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 23, 2004, 12:14 PM
    Re: PVC PLumbing in mobile home

Hey Wings, I can do better then that. Depending on the size of the supplys, purchase a PVC inline shut off valve and simply cut the PVC supply and glue it in. You will need a small can of PVC Cement and a small can of PVC Primer. Make sure you paint both the pipe and the inside of the valve the pipe will fit into with PVC Primer before you glue. Good luck, Tom

May 24, 2004, 03:35 AM
    Does that work on the flexible PVC?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 24, 2004, 06:00 AM
    If your flexible PVC doesn't actually say PVC on it, it may be urethane or something less likely to work with PVC cement. If it is flexible PVC, I THINK it should work. Tom likely has seen it done and knows the results, good or bad.

I actually have a length of flexible, braided PUR with the made for the purpose ridged hose nipples and clamps in my water system. I may only be getting away with it because of my relatively low pressure pump and well system.

You might also look at the threaded connections on the faucets. If you can buy a valve or fittings that match it, you could insert the valve there. I would buy ball valves if you can find them. They are easier to use, leak less, and never need the packing adjusted or replaced. The typical gate valves have been obsolete for over 20 years, but still dominate the market. I can not think of any application where they are better than ball valves. Where you must have a full pot valve, you can either buy special full port ball valves, or simply bush down larger ones.

Another option is to replace the faucets you have now with the more convenient waterless, single handle ones. I think I have had the one on my kitchen sink for over 25 years and haven't done anything to it.
    Eternal Plumber

May 24, 2004, 07:17 AM
    As usual Labman gave you good advice. To give you accurate advice however we would have to know exactly the material we're working with. Let me explain. There are four types of plastic in general use. Black plastic, which is ABS,(Acylonitrile Butadine Styrene) and white plastic which is PVC and CPVC,(Polyvinyl Chloride and Chlornated Polyvinyl Chloride) ABS is used for drainage. PVC is used outside the house for cold water feed from the pump or the meter Also drainage both inside and outside the house. CPVC is rated for both hot and cold lines and can be used to plumb a house on the inside. And then we have Polybutylene pipe,(PB or Polly Pipe) which is flexible tubing on water piping. Let us know what you have in your trailer. Cheers, Tom

May 24, 2004, 09:07 PM
    It is grey and says 'potable tubing UPC' and every place the tubing is joined there are brass fittings with a copper bands around grey that looks like it is clamping but it is one piece. I tried to find a shut off vavle that would screw in, but they seemed to have every other connection combination except that size. I am actually replacing the faucet so I guess I could skip the shut off valve. I have done the drain type PVC and copper. I doubt our water pressure is anything to worry about.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 25, 2004, 05:43 AM
    Sounds like the polybutylene pipe Tom mentioned. I don't think anything sticks to it. You need a crimping tool to install the bands you describe. Likely it isn't worth buying one for your own use. I have never tried, so can't say how easy they may be to work with. You used to be able to buy fittings that screwed down on that style pipe. Go to the hardware or home center and check. Ask for polybutylene fittings. The leading brand is Quest. I tried them 20-25 years ago, and didn't like them. Some of the products were forced off the market because people had problems with them. The newer ones may be improved. You could also mix and match pipe with them. I used the flexibility of the polybutylene to run from my new hot water heater with the inlet and outlet in different places back to the old copper lines, screwing the Quest fittings to the copper. I think I have one screwed to PVC over by my water softener.

You may be able to cut the lines, and screw valves on to the ends. Where I am talking about screwing together, the pipe does not have threads. I mean tightening the nuts on the fitting, which clamps it down on the pipe. Read and follow the directions carefully. Those people that had trouble with the fittings, may not have installed them right.
    Eternal Plumber

May 25, 2004, 06:21 AM
    You have described a PEX (Croslinked Polyethyene) system. Labman was right on target when he said you will need crimping tools and a special inline valve. To read up on PEX systems, the tools needed and how to use them click on, http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howT.../rightNavHowTo You must use PEX fittings in a PEX system so it would pay you to familiarize yourself with this system. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mobile Home Foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

My husband purchased a mobile home the year before we were married. A year after we married he was diagnosed with a chronic illness and has been unable to work since then. He receives SSI disability, but it is not much. In recent months he has been hospitalized for a lenghty period. Due to this, he...

Mobile home reposession [ 1 Answers ]

From PM:

Mobile Home Finacing [ 5 Answers ]

I am selling my mobile home and giving a loan to the new buyer. If he doesn’t make his payments, I want to know what document I need to start the Repossession process in California. I assume I give him a formal warning. Is that after 30 days? I find the information on the internet is for the...

Repossesion of a Mobile home [ 3 Answers ]

When can they take the home legally

Mobile Home Tub [ 3 Answers ]

I'm reinstalling a garden tub in an early 80's mobile home. It has an above floor drain, and I'm a little confused as to how to hook it up. It is against a wall with no access to the drain from the rear or underneath. Any help would be appreciated. This is my first experience with plumbing a...

View more questions Search