Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    molly5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2009, 10:07 AM
    My dog just starting peeing in the house after 12 years
    My dog (dacshund) just starting peeing in the house after 12 years. She is being treated for a case of ear mites of which she has never had, she is also very thristy all
    The time - you would think we never give her water, she drinks it as fast as we fill her bowl, also she has started letting us know that she has no food or water by barking at us in the middle of the night, is this an age thing or is something else going on with her?
    We only feed her twice a day (a half scoop in the morning 6am and in the evening 6pm) we make sure her bowl of water is always full, but like I said she drinks it as fast as I can fill her bowl... Please help?
    trulytrying Posts: 122, Reputation: 6

Dec 21, 2009, 11:59 AM

She may have a hormone problem... because she's getting older. My mother-in-law's Doberman had the same symptoms and that's what it was. They put her on meds and she (for the most part) stopped "dribbling" in the house. Can you take her to the vet for some blood work? That would probably get to the bottom (no pun intended) of this.
    I wish you and your little pal the best.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 21, 2009, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by molly5 View Post
    my dog (dacshund) just starting peeing in the house after 12 years. She is being treated for a case of ear mites of which she has never had, she is also very thristy all
    the time - you would think we never give her water, she drinks it as fast as we fill her bowl, also she has started letting us know that she has no food or water by barking at us in the middle of the night, is this an age thing or is something else going on with her?
    We only feed her twice a day (a half scoop in the morning 6am and in the evening 6pm) we make sure her bowl of water is always full, but like I said she drinks it as fast as I can fill her bowl.....Please help?
    Sadly this is often age related.

The excessive thirst may be linked to the medications she's on for the ear mite treatment. See how she is after the treatment is done.

She could also have a bladder infection. Does the vet know about the extreme thirst and urinating inside?

I have a 14 year old lab cross, he's the same way as your dog. He's urinating and defecating in the house. He'll do it right in front of me. He hasn't done this since he was a puppy. He also wanders the house mainly at night and barks at nothing, for no reason.

Get a physical to rule out illness, then go from there.

Good luck. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 5 yr old dog is peeing in the house! [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 5 yr old jack russelXminitaure american eskimo. He has been peeing in the house. This has been going on for about the last 2 months. At first we thought that it was just an "accident", but the accidents seem to be ocurring more and more. The pee is never in the same place it is in...

Dog peeing in the house at 2 years old [ 26 Answers ]

Why is my dog peeing in the house after he has been potty trained since he was a little puppy, and he pees on everything. Why is he doing this and how do I stop it?

Dog peeing in the house. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a dog he's about 1 1/2 years old. German shepard mix he's about 40 pounds. Hes been peeing in the house a lot. We just moved a few weeks ago so I'm sure that not helping but he was doing this before to. I know its not we aren't letting him out he goes outside AT LEAST 4 times a day. I'm...

Dog Peeing in the House [ 2 Answers ]

My dog can be outside for hours and pee and poop in the house? What's up with that.. He is a zu about 1yr 8 months - given to us FREE as owners were moving and couldn't take him... hmmm.. sound fishy now that I think about it... Pee's by the cat's litter box (I have placed some newspaper...

Dog peeing all over house [ 2 Answers ]

My dog started peeing all over the house. Now, he is peeing in the lv on my chair... what can I do??

View more questions Search