Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbella Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2006, 08:06 PM
    Family addiction
    My brother whom is 19 years old is a heroine addict and is living in my parents home. My parents have tried everything to get him help. He has gone to rehab and relapsed, nothing seems to be working. What other options can be taken?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2006, 08:48 PM
    Your parents, although they love your brother very much, are not doing him any favors by allowing him to live there. They are enabling his behavior by allowing him to live at home. Why should they put themselves at risk with your brother? I had a cousin was was using drugs heavily and one day he picked up a butcher knife and attacked his Mom. He later had no recollection of the action. It is tough love to say that he should be out of the house but I would go that route. He will either get straight and clean or hit rock bottom. If he does hit rock bottom, maybe then he will accept the help and stay clean.
    mbella Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 09:42 AM
    Thanks for the advice I know that my parents should kick him out and I tell them that all the time. Its hard to actually go through with it though. I don't know what more to do.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2006, 02:49 PM
    I really feel for you in this situation. It is so difficult to see a family member go through hell and put the others in that same hell. I would say to get some help for yourself - talk to a counselor, a trusted person, whoever you know that will listen and keep your confidentiality. There might be a group that you can check into for families dealing with a loved one who is using drugs. Something like AA - I think it is called NA - but there is one for families. Wishing you and your parents the very best in this. I sincerely hope your brother kicks his habit.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Nov 14, 2006, 03:19 PM
    I am so sorry for the suffering this brings to you and your family.

If your parents can get support from Narc Anon (for families of addicts) or if that isn't around, Al Anon-- that would help them to find a clear conscience path for themselves. If they can see the need for reality-based self protection for them and firm but fair limits for him, then maybe they could offer to drive him to the nearest Narcotics Anonymous meeting, for example, or the shelter every day for a week. If at the end of the week he doesn't have a foothold in NA (names and numbers to call, people to get rides from, things he has learned and is interested in) or some other plan in place then it is obviously his choice and clearly time for the shelter.

While it is important to see this as a disease, it is equally important to see treatment (and there are many approaches too) as something HE wants and HE manages much like if he turned up with cancer. Sadly, no one can help the addict if help isn't wanted. If he chooses to forgo any treatment then that decision needs to be respected but the people around an active addict are unquestionably at risk.
    lukeduke Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Nov 25, 2006, 08:19 PM
    I know first hand that heroin is no joke and is probably the hardest to kick. I myself was on heroin for 2 years and before that oxys. Heroin, I found was a lot cheaper and also stronger but I never banged, I don't like needles too much. I had tried every method except for inpatient cause I just could not go without my job, cause if I lost it I would hate life. Anyway, Methadone is the way to go I would say. It is controlled and given correctly. I think if he does that and finds his correct dosege and then after a while lowers his dose as prescribed total harmony can be achieved. I am at the stage now where I stay at my stable dose and after a while I will start the weining. I know undubitably that it has been the best thing I have ever done. My life right know has come back together and could not be happier under any aspect. Research it and study,. methdone has a very high percentage in working as long as you work it and do what is directed.. I am happy to answer any questions... GOOD LUCK!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Drugs and Addiction [ 12 Answers ]

Hi there Are there any teens out there with a problem?? This is my field of expertise and I would gladly answer any questions in this regard. Come on teens DON'T THROW YOUR LIVES AWAY Lets clean up our act.

Addiction [ 25 Answers ]

Help. I just found out that my best friend as an addiction for sleeping tablets called Stilnox. She doesn't only take them to help her sleep but she takes them evey day soon after she awakes. She takes about 5 a day. I keep trying to her she don't need them but she is adamant she does and can't...

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

Sex addiction [ 3 Answers ]

I feel like I pressure my girlfriend in to having sex a lot how could I stop myself from wanting it so much but to still have sex

Love Addiction I [ 1 Answers ]

Love Addiction Part I: The Problem By Robert Weiss, LCSW, CAS Healthy romantic love is a unique experience which can encourage bonding, intimacy and the opportunity to play and explore with that special new person. Romance, with or without sex, encourages personal growth as each new...

View more questions Search