Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Arkadi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 10:56 PM
    'inherited property
    Hi:
    I am selling my real estate in Russia, which I inherited from my father. He passed away in 1985; I came to US in 1992.
    In the Soviet Union there was no real estate market; the local currency (namely, ruble) was not then convertible.
    How can I determine now the initial value of this property for tax purposes?
    Many thanks for your help.
    Arkadi
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 21, 2009, 11:29 AM
    Arkadi:

Do you have access to comparative sales values (the amount received from sales of similar real estate transcations) for 1985?

If not, then you need to make a "best guess" as to what the property was worth in 1985.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who pays back property taxes in inherited property [ 5 Answers ]

I inherited 51 acres in West Virginia from my father who has died in March of last year. It is being transferred to me on Friday. The 2008 property taxes have not been paid. The will is going through Probate Court in Georgia now. Should the estate of my father pay the back taxes as the will is...

Inherited property [ 2 Answers ]

My husband's family gave him a piece of land as inherited property while we were married. If we build a house on the land and later down the road get a divorce, am I intitled to 50% of the property and house?

Inherited property [ 2 Answers ]

I inherted a house after my mother passed away, theire was mortgage on the property and my cousin lived in the house and paid only the payment, is this considered a rental,the house has been sold recemtly , I am not sure how to list it on my taxes

Inherited property [ 5 Answers ]

My brother and I inherited my grandmothers home in California in 1996. My brother has been living in the home since then. We both have equal 50/50 ownership in this property. The house was long ago paid for and there is no mortgage. My brother has now obtained a mortgage for half of the current...

Property taxes on inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

When daughter inherits home from parent and moves into the home, is there an adjustment to the property tax base in California? Currently taxes are extremely low but house has increased in value since purchase 40 years ago. House is held by trust.

View more questions Search