Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lagarto1960 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 07:23 PM
    Wiring a ceiling fan with light
    I am replacing a ceiling fan that has no light with one that has a light included. The wall switch that controlled the old fan included an OFF position plus three fan speeds. The ceiling mount has four wires: red (that didn't connect to anything before), black, white and bare copper. The fan has black, white, blue and two greens. I want to be able to control the light with the pull chain and have the fan speed controlled at the 3-speed switch on the wall. I've tried everything and though the light worked for a second, there now seems to be no life. Help!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 20, 2009, 09:14 PM

Before we do any connecting you need to test that red wire for power when you use that on/off switch. If you get power on the red we are in business. White is neitral and bare is gound and is used for both fan and light. Black to black for fan and blue to red for light. If this does not produce what you need just come back and tell us what it did.

Dec 21, 2009, 01:45 AM

Hello --Thanks for your answer! Actually, what you've suggested above is how things are wired right now, based on limited instructions and my intuition: Black + black, white +white, two greens + bare, and blue + red. No sign of life using switch or pull chain. I also tried the same as above but left the red out of the picture, and wired the two blacks and blue together (per one version shown in the instructions). That got the light to work for a second but it went out -- and the fan never worked at all. Any additional help greatly appreciated.

Dec 21, 2009, 06:48 AM

Update -- never mind! I disconnected and reconnected and all is working fine now. So possibly a bad connection initially. Went beck to original configuration and all is well. Thanks for your help though!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan / light wiring [ 32 Answers ]

Am trying to rewire up a ceiling fan with light to ceiling box -- of course, like an idiot, I didn't write down how it was wired before, because, hey, how hard could this be, right? Ceiling box has these wires: 3 blacks, twisted together 3 white, twisted together 1 red 3 copper grounds...

Ceiling fan/light wiring [ 2 Answers ]

hi, how do I wire ceiling fan/light -?fan has blk,white, blue and grd.=ceiling box has -red ,blk,white and grd.--wall box has 2 wire cable coming in- blk,white and grd.(power)and 3 wire going to fan-red, blk,whiteand grd. My sw-(lutron)fan/light combo-has red,yellow ,blk,green grd, Iam really...

Ceiling fan and light wiring [ 3 Answers ]

Where does each wire go? I have 2 pull chains, 1 for the light and 1 for the fan. The fan is a multi-speed. There are 7 wires coming out of the fan box.

Ceiling Fan 4 light fixture wiring [ 5 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan with a 4 light fixture I need to know how to wire the light switch. I have one white wire, one black wire, and one green wire available. The green wire is labeled lights. Thanks in advance.

Wiring a Ceiling Fan (w/light) [ 5 Answers ]

I just moved into a new house and I'm installing ceiling fans. I've installed 4 other ceiling fans with no issues and on my last one I'm scratching my head. For each fan I'm installing a switch with a separate fan and light controller on the wall (side by side sliders). There are 3 wires on...

View more questions Search