Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daeklove Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 03:03 PM
    Should I resign or be terminaed
    On Friday I took a new laptop from my employer(Best Buy). About two to three hours after taking it I returned to the store, returned the unit and turned myself in to management because stealing is not in my character. I explained to them that I was willing to simply make restitution by paying for the unit. I was told at that time that it was too late for that. They began processing it as an employee theft and suspended me.

I am almost sure I am going to be terminated as the manager chose to go the more complicated route. My question is should I let them fire me or should I resign?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 03:08 PM

What difference will it make to you if you resign now since they have already suspended you? The theft charge is the one I'd be worried about. This will show up on any criminal background check in the future you know.

Dec 20, 2009, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    What difference will it make to you if you resign now since they have already suspended you? The theft charge is the one I'd be worried about. This will show up on any criminal background check in the future you know.
    So even if the unit was returned to the store it will still haunt me?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 20, 2009, 04:14 PM

Yes, you will be lucky if they still don't call the police and follow up with criminal charges.

So it really does not matter if you quit or get fired, this will be a bad reference for any future jobs and you can't get unemployment anyway because of the theft.

Hind sight, you should have merely went in and paid for the unit, and if anything was said, merely say you got busy and forgot to,

But confessing to a crime, without talking to an attorney ( from a legal stand point) is the last thing you ever do.

From the moral side, you did the right thing, and move on and learn from this

Dec 20, 2009, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    yes, you will be lucky if they still don't call the police and follow up with criminal charges.

So it really does not matter if you quit or get fired, this will be a bad reference for any future jobs and you can't get unemployment anyway because of the theft.

Hind sight, you should have merley went in and paid for the unit, and if anything was said, merley say you got busy and forgot to,

But confessing to a crime, without talking to an attorney ( from a legal stand point) is the last thing you ever do.

From the moral side, you did the right thing, and move on and learn from this
    I tried to go in and pay for the unit, but because of the fact that "two salary managers" already knew, they had to esculate to corporate.

They basically turned a molehill into a mountain on there own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obama must resign [ 13 Answers ]

Nope, it wasn't Limbaugh, O'Reilly or Savage, it was a cartoonist and columnist from way on the other side that made this call... Yep, Obama is bringing us together... now both sides think he's dangerous.

When a guarantor wants to resign [ 2 Answers ]

I have taken a loan and now due to some differences my guarantor wants to resign.. how will this affect me?

Should I resign or be terminated? [ 19 Answers ]

I have been a county employee for 4+ years. About a year ago I took a promotional position in another agency which has a one year probationary period. I received my nine month evaluation on 4/30/08 and was told that I needed to make improvements by 5/30/08 and if I did not the agency would...

How Do I Resign [ 7 Answers ]

I have been working in a bank for almost a year. It has been by far the worst experience of my life, I have encountered racism, victimisation, harsh and unfair criticism and double standards apply to me and not my colleagues. It is apparent to everyone apart from management! I was put on a...

View more questions Search