Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    No Time Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2006, 06:27 PM
    Civil summons
    HOw long does the deputy have to serve a civil summons? If there is a time limit, can it be reissued after the time limit is up? What if they don't have your current address or workplace info, what action could they take to find you?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2006, 09:51 AM
    Hello No:

If you are being sued by someone, all they have to do is know what city you live in. You can be legally served by publication. That means the plaintiff can publish, in a local legal newspaper, notice of the lawsuit. I believe they have to publish on three separate occasions.

Then, they'll get a default judgment and levy on your assets and garnish your wages – ALL without notice.

So, it's my advice NOT to hide from a lawsuit, cause you can't.

Now, if you're judgment proof, then go on about your merry way.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2006, 12:34 PM
    Also as a person who used to work part time finding and serving people, they go to your friends, your enemies, they will ask people where you used to live, past landlords, past neighbors and so on.

They will check with the utillitiy companies, and the such.

And funny as it sounds, esp if it is being served by law enforcement, check with your local pizza delivery people, you would be surprised at how many names , addresss and telephone numbers they have in their files.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons to appear in court [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have received a summons to appear in court, this is for an outstanding credit card debt that is around 4 years old. I have tried to find out what the statute of limitations are in Colordo is, but am getting conflicting answers. Please help, and if possible, some examples I can site.

Summons from Collection Agency [ 6 Answers ]

Recently received summons from a collection agency that a lawsuit has been started against me. What is the best way to respond to the court. I am unemployed, have no income or savings. I have not been working due to illness and am waiting for judgement on disability. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Civil Summons [ 2 Answers ]

What is a civil summons?

Civil summons [ 11 Answers ]

What is the civil summons process?? How long does the deputy have to deliver the summons.? We hired a contractor to do a job and he didn't return to finish the job after receiving a draw. This is SC (( Columbia )) If our addresses turn up negative for delivery from the deputy what is the next...

Failure to answer summons [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a car and financed it through a credit union. Was in an accident with no insurance, and was unable to pay for the car. I was served a summons because they are now suing me for the money for the car, but was unable to answer it. I have no defense against owing them the money. So now they...

View more questions Search