Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fritz&Ellie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 02:59 PM
    We just had 6 baby mini dashunds three are dapple color is this rare
    We just had 6 baby mini dashunds puppies. Three are dapple color is this rare??
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 03:36 PM

Dapple, (also known as Merle) is NOT one of the recognised colors for Dachshunds and is a disqualification for showing.

Please get both dogs fixed as well as spay neuter the pups when they are old enough to prevent producing more of the defective color gene.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2009, 04:42 PM

Dapple isn't rare. Please do not attempt to sell these puppies for more.

They are actually a recognized colour. As per the AKC:

"Dappled dachshunds-The dapple (merle) pattern is expressed as lighter-colored areas contrasting with the darker base color, which may be any acceptable color. Neither the light nor the dark color should predominate. Nose and nails are the same as for one- and two-colored Dachshunds. Partial or wholly blue (wall) eyes are as acceptable as dark eyes. A large area of white on the chest of a dapple is permissible."
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 04:47 PM

Wow, didn't realise it was recognised in America, he in Aus Merles are very much frowned upon, being a Dane person I can't stand that particular color in any breed.

Merle is a dominant gene and is linked with defects such as blindness and deafness, hence the need for spaying the entire litter and the parents.

http://www.cbsweechis.com/id84.html
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2009, 04:55 PM

I have a merle Australian Shepherd, love her to bits.
    And yes, ignorant breeders who don't understand the genetics of it can definitely bring out those flaws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mini bean bag type baby.can't remember the name! [ 1 Answers ]

I had this toy when I was about 6 or 7 years old around 1992ish... they were mini bean bag babies about the size of a Barbie baby. They had plastic heads and beanie bodies... I had a merry-go-round, a swing, and a cradle with it I believe... probably more but I don't remember. I used to love...

Fleas in longhaired dashunds [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get rid of fleas in my long haired dashund? Nothing I try seems to work. Not the liquid flea meds, not bathing her in dawn dish soap, not bathing her in vinegar. Nothing. I am at a complete loss. Please help!!

Dashunds and a Poodle Both In The House [ 7 Answers ]

Hi :) I am wondering, I both have a dashund and a mixed poodle in the house whom I loved so much. Will there be any peace around the house? I mean, they keep on playing and I often wonder if the other is jealous or something.. its crazy.. they both have separate feeding bowls but the other...

View more questions Search