Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stamak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 01:13 PM
    Retrieving data from old hard drive
    I don't know that much about computors but need to get data off my old hard drive from another computor. I read your post about putting the old hard drive to slave and connecting it to the hard drive cable and also the power cable. During the boot up I had the side cover off the case which will not allow the system to boot up. I tried to reboot again (with the cover off- had not caught that yet)with the same results. So I freeked out and started to unplug the old hard drive while saying I need to reboot again which my daughter who is holding the flashlight heard so she hit the start botton again. At this time I realized that I had unplugged the power from new operating system not the old hard drive and hit the power button to shut down. (1)By doing what I did with the power to the hard drive did I damage it. (2) When I try to boot up the system now with the side cover on it will not boot up. It says "wait...." no kidding it does and just stays there going no further. Or it asked for the booting disk.
    Can you help this lost soul?
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2009, 11:53 PM

With errors like that, you may want to find a friend who has some experience working on the inside of computers.

Take the cover off. In your case, always keep the power off while inside the computer. Unplug the drive you are trying to copy from and make sure your regular drive is properly connected. Put the cover back in its place and see if it boots.

If you have no problems, then power down, and put the old drive back in. I would suggest using the CD drive cables. I may be able to help you with this if you post your computer model information.

Basically, you unplug both cables going to the CD drive, and plug them into the drive you want to copy from, then your computer should still boot. If you go to "My Computer" you will notice two drives. Find your info and copy it to the other drive.

If you have any other problems, post them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recovering hard drive data [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way that I can recover data from the hard drive that was installed when my PC crashed and I had to install another hard drive. Is there any freeware sites. Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Retrieving pictures from an old hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

How do I retrieve pictures (or any files) from an old PC that won't boot?

Retrieving files off another hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

Hello There, A friend has asked me if I can retrieve files off here hard drive. Can I do this by connecting the hard drive to the IDE slave cable and hooking up the power plug to it? Also I would like to know if my OS system will activate the 2nd hard drive or do I have to use a reboot disk?...

Retrieving info from old hard drive. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a slight problem and wonder if anyone here can help me. My old, or not so old computer quit working on me about 5 months ago. Before it died however it spluttered, muttered, and hissed and then crashed. Lights out! It would not start again. Problem is I was using that computer to run my...

Retrieving information from an old hard drive [ 9 Answers ]

I have an old hard drive from 2003, with a lot of files and programs on it that I would like to retrieve and save to my new hard drive. I basically know how to install a hard drive... I recently exchanged my new hard drive for the old one to see what was on it. Unfortunately, my computer doesn't...

View more questions Search