Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chigirl2112 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2006, 06:02 PM
    Electrical short?
    Hello All,

I have a house with circuit breakers that are at least 15 years old. I had a ceiling fan with lighting fixture that, when the fan was on and I tried to turn the light on - the light bulb would "explode". I don't mean burn out - I literally mean expode. So I bought a new fan with/ light fixture and it worked for a few hours on "high" (the fan) - but when I went to turn on the light - something happened and the fan would only go on "low" no matter what setting I had it on.

On the same circuit breaker I have an outdoor box. I bought a brand new leaf blower, plugged it in and within 5 minutes the motor started smoking and quit working on "high". It would work on "low" setting - but again - the motor was smoking so I quit using it and returned it.

My stepdad says that if it were an electrical problem that the circuit breaker would flip to the "off" position - this has never happened.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2006, 06:46 PM
    I beleve you have a broken neutral somewhere, can be in the circuit if it is two circuits with a shared neutral, or a loose or corroded connection anywhere in the panel, meter, overhead connections at the utility cable, or at the utility transformer.

A quick test is to measure the actual voltage at the outlets causing the problem, but may not be conclusive as the voltage can vary at any time and may not be detectable at all times.

If the volts are plus or minus 10% of 120 Volts,114-126, then there is a serious problem, already indicated by the damage.

You should call in a service electrician and the utility ,best both at the same time, to check for the cause. This will not get better by itself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why are my relationships so short? [ 19 Answers ]

So, I'm 27 and the longest relationship I have ever had is 3 months. I realize the reason I haven't had many girlfriends is because I'm shy initially and also I'm stupidly picky. But recently I have found girls that I really like but it goes a few months and then bam, its over. I can't figure out...

Bx Cable Short [ 1 Answers ]

I Have A 1930's Era Home Which Still Has Several Old Bx Cable Circuits. Yesterday The Breaker Tripped On One Of The Circuits. I Had An Electrician Come Out Today To Check It. The Breaker Would Stay On About 2-3 Seconds. The Circuit Handles About 5 Overhead Lights And One Wall Outlet, A Total...

Short! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi pretty, Thanks for the reply even though I asked on skin care!! So,what think you; I'm 1.60m and I weigh 45kg. I live in an area where a little more flesh is considered more appealing, but I fear if I put on more weight I might not be carry it gracefully,since I'm short! My BMI is right for my...

Tall and short? [ 2 Answers ]

Im 15... Im like 5'8-5'9... yet my boyfriends is like 5'6... he's older then me... by like two years... does that look funny to you? I mean, I wouldn't break up with him... just because I'm tall and he is short.. Its just weird. I've never gone out with a guy shorter then me. Does anybody think it...

Short story [ 3 Answers ]

I have to bring a short story (preferably no longer than 15 pages) into class, talk a bit about the author and then lead a discussion on it. I'm not a big on reading short stories so I don't have any books on them or anything. Does anyone know a short story that's easy to analyse and has some...

View more questions Search