Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xxgawjuzuxx Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Dec 20, 2009, 03:09 AM
    what type of dog qould suite?
    I'm thinking of getting a second dog for a bit of company for my border collie x, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what type? I want one that's medium sized ish.. not a huge dog but not a little one... & that can keep up with him playing? Because we don't want to get another really high energy border collie.. since we had digging troubles with the one we have & his now out of that stage but likes to have company... his 2 years old desexed male by the way (: any ideas?
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2009, 04:07 AM

There are a few questions to consider before getting a second dog.

1. do you have the space.

2. the time.

3. the cost.

If you can answer these questions yourself, there are loads of breeds out there that might suit you.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 20, 2009, 06:00 AM

Whatever breed you choose, you will need a spayed female, as border collies are very territorial. You might consider adopting from a shelter.

Dec 20, 2009, 06:12 AM

Yes we do have all three, & we were going to get one from the local animal refuge (: thank you we are planning to get a girl.. even though he gets along with both, he gets along better with them.. shares all his toys more etc.. I was wondering what breeds to look out for? That would be a good playmate for him and also be able to put up with my 4 year old sister.. (:
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Dec 20, 2009, 09:06 AM

Are you really ready to add another dog to the family? I read your past post from October about training him and that he still needed a lot of work. Has that gotten better?

Keep in mind that visiting with other dogs is a lot different from living with them. You want to be extremely careful about bringing in a new animal that he may not like or that may not like him. It would unfair to both animals.

Dec 21, 2009, 05:59 AM

thank you for your post (: suprisinglyy he has gotten better lol.. today I took him to the beach and was able to enjoy it for the first time in a long time.. I let him off the lead & it was only me & him with plenty of chances to do a runner on me but he played & followed me everywhere (: I'm so proud of him right now.. he hasn't dug in a fare while for him & I can now have gates open & trust him off leash. With the living with other dogs he should be fine as long as there not a grumpy bum.. he lived with my auntys staffy for a while, my mums friends red heeler x for a while, and had around 5 doggy friends come and visit each week to fortnight.. and at the moment his staying with me at my sister with a 2 month old puppy that likes to steal his toys & try to bite him lol but he doesn't mind.. when we do eventually get another dog of our own were going to take him to the shelter to see if they get along first. He does try to dominate bigger dogs though (ones that tower over him, mastiffs etc) but that's only for a few minutes.

Dec 21, 2009, 06:02 AM

I also think his been behaving better thanks to peoples advice on here :) thank you guys heaps.. I've just been more firm with my words & that and he seems to be listening a lot better.. like at the beach today he was responding to every word I said :D I was also able to go swimming & he was off leash following me & climbing on rocks, and playing with his ball on the beach..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does Florida renters insurance make you pay more for type dog and pool? [ 3 Answers ]

My cousin has been renting a house for about 3 years. When she signed the first 6months lease it had an "ok" to keep her dogs. The owner passed away about a year ago. The new owners (the original owners daughter and son n law) were asked by my cousin if she could have the pool, and they said yes....

Carpet type suggestions if I have a dog. [ 3 Answers ]

Due to my health reasons, I want to put in carpeting. I have a dog - he hardly ever has an accident, but he is getting older and over the next year or two, that may happen more often. Is there a specific type or brand of carpeting you could suggest? Would it be better to put in "commercial"...

My dog will not eat anything but any type of meat what can I feed her besides meat? [ 2 Answers ]

My dog,Sheba,will not eat anything but meat.I know why she won't but how do I get her to eat dog food again?Sheba is nine years old and she has some arthritis and I put an arthritis pill,that my veternarian gave me, in her dog food a couple weeks ago and now she won't eat her dog food because the...

Old bedroom suite [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help me find some info or place online where I can identify an old bedroom suite I inherited from my mother. All I know about it is it came from thomasville, nc and was supposed to be on of the first ones made in thomasville factories. She got it from her oldest sister and she was the...

View more questions Search