Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saw59 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2009, 07:55 PM
    Can you give mucinex to dogs for kennel cough
    Can I give my dog mucinex for kennel cough. If not that what can I give him that would help with his cough. I have him on antibiotics and cough pill from the vet I want to help him with the phlem he has
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2009, 07:58 PM

No.

You don't prescribe animals people drugs!

Mucinex is for HUMANS.

Go to the vet about any concerns you have!

You can possibly kill your dog especially if he is already taking OTHER medication.

Sheesh.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2009, 08:07 PM

No. It can cause tachycardia (high heart rate) and can bottom out their blood pressure.
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2009, 08:10 PM

Ask your vet about Robitussin DM. We've used it for dogs with kennel cough but we have to ensure it is the right medication for them. Bring it up to them and they will let you know if it is right for your dog and give you a dose.

NEVER give human medication without consulting a vet as their dosages are far different than ours.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2009, 09:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariss View Post
    Ask your vet about Robitussin DM. We've used it for dogs with kennel cough but we have to ensure it is the right medication for them. Bring it up to them and they will let you know if it is right for your dog and give you a dose.

NEVER give human medication without consulting a vet as their dosages are far different than ours.
    You have to remember this dog is on OTHER medication.

(S)he SHOULD talk to the vet.

Giving the dog Robitussin [just in case she thinking of just giving it to him without consulting the vet] could affect [effect?] him because of what he's taking now!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2009, 10:58 PM

If it doesn't start to clear up then take him back to the vet.
    Please don't give him any human cough medicine, give the pills and the antibiotics time to work.

Dogs with kennel cough are to be honest, pretty gross, they can get very mucusy and along with the cough can have a rather runny nose.

Unless he is acting lethargic or the coughing is getting worse just stick with the anti-biotics.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2009, 03:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    You have to remember this dog is on OTHER medication.

(S)he SHOULD talk to the vet.

Giving the dog Robitussin [just in case she thinking of just giving it to him without consulting the vet] could affect [effect?] him because of what he's taking now!
    If what I think the dog is on is correct then it won't affect him, but I did say never to give any medication without consulting first.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 20, 2009, 06:05 AM

Sariss, you and Mudweiser both have a point. The primary focus here should be:

ASK THE VET

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mucinex DM for dogs [ 1 Answers ]

Can I give my dog Mucinex DM for mucus that's making him cough?

Kennel Cough [ 7 Answers ]

I just rescued a sweet 1 year old german shepard mix from a shelter that has a bad case of the kennel cough. I rushed him to the vet when I found out that he wasn't eating. :confused: He is way under weight ( 60lbs) not drinking as well. I have him IV's because the vet can't keep him there due to...

Disinfecting for Kennel Cough ? [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have experience with disinfecting their house and yard and dog beds/kennels with the germ that causes kennel cough? I know about bleach mixtures, but that seems too caustic for metals crates, loungers and others. In doing a favor for a rescue group yesterday, I may have infected my...

View more questions Search