Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    berryp68 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2009, 02:37 PM
    hire's outside a company make more coming in than those being promoted within?
    My husband has been working with a company for the past 5 years. He has had two big promotions that should have increased his salary considerably according to his market value rate. When he asked his manager if he could be paid market value rate, the manager responds that the company cannot give more than 10% pay increases per year. Is this normal? Also, if they hire outside the company that person makes market rate while my husband has been working with the company for 5 years and still does not make market rate. (and this person has less experience than my husband does. My husband also trained this new employee) is there anything he can do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 19, 2009, 02:41 PM

If he is being paid less because of his race, his religion, or other protected reason.

But short of going and finding another job, there is nothing he can do unless he has a specific contract.

He can ask his manager to let him have a meeting with the managers boss but often those can go bad also.

Remember "market value" is only good when you are ON THE MARKET" so perhaps he will have to go on the market find another firm to move to that will pay a higher rate
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2009, 02:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by berryp68 View Post
    is there anything he can do?
    Hello berry:

The only thing your husband can do is negotiate the best compensation package he can. If he doesn't like the outcome, he can quit.

The 10% number is company POLICY. It is NOT law. They certainly COULD give him any size raise they wanted to.

What any other employee makes, whether they are senior, or junior to your husband, has NOTHING whatsoever to do with what your husband makes. The only exception to the above, as the Padre mentioned, would be if your husbands race, age, gender, sexual preference, or religion was a factor in the decision.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 19, 2009, 04:09 PM

And I will say that a 10 percent increase in pay right is almost unhead of almost every company I know of has not given any raises at all in almost 3 years.

I know over 10 companies that have cut pay up to 25 percent also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my company make me sign a different contract? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Ive worked for my company for 2 years now and recently discovered that my contract entitles me to an extra 30 hours paid holiday a year than I have been taking. I have informed my company of this and they have informed me that this is a "copy and paste" error that should never have been...

Mortgage company saying we didn't make payment [ 5 Answers ]

OK, I live in California, lets start by saying we were with option one mortgage, as of July 1 they sold to American home mortgage. We refinance our mortgage in November of 2007, we had 3 months with no payments, we were to start our payments in February of 2008. In February of 2008, I made a...

How to Make an Advertising Brochure for My New Company [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to make a introduction brochure of my new company for advertising reasons for potential customers that don't know about our service yet.

I want to make company , I am confused [ 2 Answers ]

Hi every body I have small flooring business sales and installation in atlanta Georgia I want to make company , I am confused there is few types and kinds inc, LLC, corp... etc The kind of company I want not to be complicated easy to use and maintain, and pay less tax ,and protect me from...

View more questions Search