Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msgg100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2009, 09:00 AM
    German shepherd ears not standing up
    Hi Everyone,

My GSD is about almost 7 month and his ears are both standing up except the very tip (approx 1 inch) of one ear. Will this be corrected on its own or should I try some other options.

I am considering taping that tip portion only but not sure if it will do the trick. Trying something is better than not at all.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 19, 2009, 10:24 AM

You could have his vet tape it, but that one thing is a common occurrence with shep pups. It will correct itself as he gets older.

Tick
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 19, 2009, 01:43 PM

Give it two more months. The cartilage is pretty well firmed up by 10 months. Is it imperative that his ears stand, like for confirmation shows?
    Expert

Dec 19, 2009, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Give it two more months. The cartilage is pretty well firmed up by 10 months. Is it imperative that his ears stand, like for confirmation shows?
    If I had a german sheppard, which I do, in the future, I would want the ears to stand up and would like to see the proper conformation if I am going to spend, what up to maybe $l000. For a well bred pup. I don't know why the OP wants the ears to be correct, but aside from the other wonderful features and characteristics, that's what I want.:D

Tick
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 19, 2009, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    If I had a german sheppard, which I do, in the future, I would want the ears to stand up and would like to see the proper conformation if I am going to spend, what up to maybe $l000. for a well bred pup. I dont know why the OP wants the ears to be correct, but aside from the other wonderful features and characteristics, thats what I want.:D

tick
    No offense intended, hence the term "imperative." Desirable, of course, but will it cause hardship if the pup's ear doesn't stand? Some don't, as you know.
    Expert

Dec 19, 2009, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    No offense intended, hence the term "imperative." Desireable, of course, but will it cause hardship if the pup's ear doesn't stand? Some don't, as you know.
    Why did you say, no offense intended. Did I indicate I was offended ? No, just stating my preference. If I was paying a lot of money for the dog I wanted, then I would want the best possible characteristics that the breed offers.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2009, 11:01 PM

Taping can be pretty tricky and if not done correctly can permanently disfigure the ears.
    Did you get the dog from a reputable breeder? If so they should help you with any problems you have, if not you can go to your vet and get it done but the tape will need to be changed every few days which could get expensive.

The ears could also come up on their own, I have heard of dogs ears not staying up until almost 1 year of age.
    Teething can also effect their ears, they can drop during teething and correct themselves once teething is done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ear standing of German Shepherd [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have the same problem with my German Shepherd pup, he was born on 11th march 2009. That makes him apporx. 14 week old or almost 4 months. Still one of his ear keeps on half standing up and down, the other one is still not standing up. Both of his parents have no problem like that...

Ears standing up [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I am back with same problem regarding my german shepherd who is now almost eleven months. His ears are not standing up, should I be worried. As far as his parents, they are both pedigreed and have no problem about the ears or anything for that matter. Both have great personality as a...

German Shepherd [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I've got a 12 month GSD with quite a few problems. He is very dominant. I can't go near his food bowl when he's eating, when I take him for a walk I have to keep him on a lead otherwise he runs off, if any other dog comes near he tries to attack it. I don't work during the day and I got...

German Shepherd Ears [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, we have an 8 month old female GSD. Unlike most GSD's her age, her ears are not pointing straight up. Sometimes when someone knocks on the door or when she is listening one ear will pop up straight, but most of the time they are halfway up, with the tip flopping down. Is there anything we can...

German Shepherd [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1 1/2 year old male German Shepherd. He is highly socialized and has been through training. He has never had any real aggression other than the barking at strangers when entering the home. He was neutured at six months. Yesterday, I was at a college event outside at the park. A friend...

View more questions Search