Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phuongy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2009, 07:56 AM
    I live in Illinois. My husband and I owned a house.
    My only son (from my previous marriage) got married. My husband and I bought another house and transfer the deed and the mortgage balance of the old house to my son and his wife. They are now legally owners of that house but it was a mutual agreement that my husband and I still have 20% ownership interest in that house.

If my son dies and has no children, and his wife does not want to honor the agreement, what should I do?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2009, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by phuongy View Post
    If my son dies and has no children, and his wife does not want to honor the agreement, what should I do?
    Hello p:

You should reduce your agreement to writing. Then it wouldn't matter if she wanted to honor it or not.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 19, 2009, 03:59 PM
    If you are husband are not listed on the deed as 20 percent owner, you are not and there is nothing you can do. This needs to be in writing or it does not exist.

Also how did you "transfer" the mortgage to them, never heard of that, did they do a refi ?
    phuongy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 08:20 AM
    Yes, they refinanced the house. Can we do have a written agreement regarding the ownership but not listed my husband and my name on the deed or the mortgage?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 08:50 AM

Hello again, p:

Yes, of course, you can and SHOULD have every detail memorialized in writing...

The Padre asked the question he did, because the mortgage company IS part of any deal involving the house that THEY'VE invested in...

Specifically, you didn't "transfer" the deed and mortgage. You SOLD the house to them, and they got their own financing... The problem is, apparently the mortgage company doesn't know about your 20%. If your agreement WAS in writing, they WOULD know about it. But, it isn't, and they don't. They think, that if your son defaults, they'll own the ENTIRE house. But, you own 20%, and that's going to cause trouble with the mortgage company.

So, at this point, your personal agreement with your son notwithstanding, I don't know whether you OWN 20% or not.

In any event, in order to secure your interest, if you can, you're going to need the services of a real estate attorney.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 20, 2009, 09:04 AM

Unless there is some agreement in writing that you and your husband own 20% then you don't.

I'm curious as to the conditions in which the property was transferred. I assume they paid you nothing for the house, but instead got their own mortgage and then paid off yours. If the "sale" (and it was a sale) was not for a market value price, the IRS may consider part of the sale a gift and you may incur gift taxes.

You should have researched this fully before going through this transaction, now I would suggest consulting with a real estate attorney to straighten it out.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 20, 2009, 02:02 PM

If this was me, I would put a second mortgage on the home to the value of 20 percent of the home, that way, you have a written interest in the home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who has owned my house? [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to find out who the previous owners of my home are. I have called the county clerks office and they tell me that I have to come in to the office and look up my name and house. I am out of state so that is not an option. Also, I'm looking for a free search. Thank you

Possession rights on co-owned home in ILLINOIS [ 2 Answers ]

My g/f co-owns a home with an estranged ex-boyfriend. He had to vacate the premises due to an order of protection being issued because of his physical and verbal abuse to my girlfriend and her children (he is the father). She has changed the locks, etc. in the meantime and I actually intend to...

Land is owned by inlaw, House is owned by my husband [ 2 Answers ]

Land is owned by inlaw, House is owned by my husband whom I'm separated from. Landowner is harassing me and threatening eviction. (Landowner is walking around my yard, blocking my driveway, that has a right of way. Also threatening eviction based on my comings and goings and who I have over at my...

Summons to court in Illinois but live in Georgia [ 4 Answers ]

Yesterday, I was served at Alias Summons at my home in GA with a summons to Civil Court in Illinois. The original complaint was attached to the summons and dated 2006. The court is 1,000 miles from me. The attorney attached a postage paid return envelope. If I pay the full amount, which I can...

I live in house father owned, brother wants to sell, I don't. [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, my father passed away with no will. My brother and I are the sole heirs. I live in my fathers house and have for the past 9 years. If I do not want to sell, and my brother does, and I cannot afford to move what happens? What if I do not have the money to buy my brother out? I have an elderly...

View more questions Search