Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saivstech Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Dec 19, 2009, 05:19 AM
    Mask my IP Address when I browse the internet
    Hello,

I'm running XP Pro/SP3, Chrome/Firefox. I want to know if there is any free software to mask my IP. I was browsing the other day and came across a site which says I can mask IP while surfing. In the site it says that nothing is foolproof and only 80% of privacy is protected, but if at all there is one I want to try... I googled but there seems to be so many softwares that its confusing whether to use or not. So I want to try and see what difference it makes, and it should be spam/adware/etc free software if any.

Thanks in advance.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2009, 05:50 AM
    Hi, saivstech!

Have you heard of using a proxy server?

Proxy Server - Google Search

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 19, 2009, 06:04 AM

Why do you want to do this?
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2009, 04:36 PM

Proxy's can be configured to work through the browser or even through the web interface. There are also ways to clone others' IP addresses, however, some find this ethically wrong. I suppose if you had your ISP's and whom ever's ip permission, or if you were just experimenting on a LAN there would be no problems.

You may even consider dynamic ip addresses.
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Mar 10, 2010, 01:29 PM

Proxy servers will mask your IP the benefit is well... not that much.
    Using a router with a firewall will give you more protection. With most connections to ISP's giving the end user a non static IP proxies are less useful. Your time will be better spent insuring that your operating system is up to date as well as your AV protection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Home Address - internet [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering, well, me and a friend of mine, if it is illegal to post a persons home address and name on the internet. The story is, he sold something to someone through a in-line forum and the person didn't send the merchandise. On this forum, they have a list of "scammers" and people are...

Can a workstation computer be configured to browse the Internet and yet NOT have a de [ 10 Answers ]

What is a default gateway? What happens if I don't have one? :confused:

Can a workstation computer be configured to browse the Internet and yet NOT have a [ 16 Answers ]

Answer my question and explain it for me

Regarding Internet Address bar [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I accidentally dropped the address bar (where the URL address is specified) to the bottom of the screen. I did all the probalities to drag it back to the original location, but nothing worked out. I tried the following stuffs as well: 1. Drag and drop 2. Right clicked on the grey portion...

View more questions Search