Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    12345678900 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2009, 09:56 PM
    Shoplifting
    I and my friend was caught at zeller,and they contacted the police, and they had our name wrote down,and also call parents, and few weeks later,they sent me a letter,"civil recovery letter", they ask for $500 hundred dollars, also the letter shows me how to pay for it,but I scared it might get lost on the way,, is it safe if I just send the money?
    Please tell me if you have anyway to pay for the recovery!.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 18, 2009, 10:09 PM

WHO sent you the letter? Don't do anything until you talk with your parents about this and how to deal with it.

How old are you, by the way?

Dec 18, 2009, 10:16 PM

Hi,I am 16 years old, and my parents doesn't know about this,
    The letter is sent from zellers legal counsel!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 18, 2009, 10:19 PM

You wrote, "and also call parents."

Do not do anything at all until you talk with your parents about this. They have to know because it can affect their credit and their reputation, since you are their child living in their house.

Dec 18, 2009, 10:23 PM

They called my friend parents,,
    Oh OK,, ~
    Thank you
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 19, 2009, 12:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 12345678900 View Post
    they called my friend parents
    Your friends' parents don't know you were also a thief, and won't mention something to your parents?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2009, 10:08 AM

Ths question - "do I have to pay restitution" - has been discussed and sometimes argued on this board any number of times. One side feels that it is tantamount to extortion; the other feels it is allowed by Canadian Law. I've had Canadian law firms tell me either side is correct.

If your choice is pay restitution or face criminal charges, I'd pay the restitution - but that's just me.

I'd tell your parents now before you are arrested.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 19, 2009, 03:44 PM

No of course you don't send "cash" in the mail you send a check or money order in the mail.

1. you showed very poor judgement in shoplifting, by not telling your parents ( who can be held responsible for your fines or dragged into court) you show such very poor judgement it is unbelievable
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2009, 03:53 PM

Hello:

I'm one who thinks it's extortion, or a bribe, or a mordida (bite), or a vig, or your taxes. Those are just some of the different names we have for the payments we make to be left alone.

I DO think it's best to pay them.

excon
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2009, 07:08 PM

Where are you getting $500 without your parents knowing about it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shoplifting in UK [ 3 Answers ]

I am 27. I am from China and finished studies in UK. I was caught shoplifting £3 goods in Primark in Liverpool to avoid waiting in long queue to pay. But I spent nearly £100 in that store two days ago. Such a stupid thing I have done I know and I will not do it again. The store' security and...

Shoplifting under $10 [ 2 Answers ]

I was caught shoplifting an item under $10. A form was filled out and they said the store was going to fine me. The police weren't called and I didn't sign anything. What will happen next? Will this be on my record? Will I actually be fined?

Shoplifting, 18 y/o [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I am an 18 year old and I am a perminant resident here in the united states. I live in New York. Couple of days ago, I was caught stealing $39 dollars worth of clothing from Macys, and they called the police on me. I paied the fine I was supposed to pay to MAcys, and I was taken into the...

Shoplifting under $40 [ 7 Answers ]

So I made a wrong decision out of a stupid challenge with a friend and shoplifted 40$ worth o stuff at JC penney in Kansas and got caught when we were exiting the store. I came clean and the police officer came there and gave me a court date to appear next month. I am very scared as to what is...

View more questions Search