Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thelma922 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2009, 05:18 PM
    Term date 7/23/09, ins ended 9/30/09, cobra notice came 11/28/09, legal?
    My husband lost his job on 7/23/09 and insurance ended 9/30/09. We did not receive any options for cobra until 11/28/09 and now are expected to pay back premiums which are very expensive. Can they legally do this after such a long period and after numerous requests by us?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2009, 05:50 PM

Yes, he first should have known he had cobra rights and contacted them if you had wanted it ( or keep money saved back) But it is payable from the time the insurance ended.

Unless someone has health issues, you can find it though the private sector normally cheaper
    But the price you are asked to pay is the same price the company was paying
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Dec 20, 2009, 05:23 PM
    They have 45 days from loss of coverage to notify you. It seems they have gone beyond what is allowed.
    In any case premiums and coverage would be retroactive to 9/30. Depending on company size and/or state you reside you may be eligible for the 65% COBRA subsidy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What AM I doing! (new to dating after a long term ended) [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to preface this post by saying that it's probably obvious that I'm being played with, I'm probably not ready to date, and I should just forget and move on. Maybe I'M the one with the problem and I'm just a non-understanding jerk. Perhaps this post is a waste of time in that regard but...

Is it legal for an employeer to continue to pay employee health insurance once COBRA [ 2 Answers ]

Is it legal for an former emlpoyeer to continue to pay for a separated employees' health insurance?

What is legal term for [ 3 Answers ]

What does :rolleyes: 2+ prose parties when cases closed and dismissed- lack of juris. w/o prejudice mean?

Is a 30 days notice sufficient if my lease has ended and I know pay month to month? [ 4 Answers ]

So I signed a rental agreement for a 6 month lease effective January-June and have fulfilled the terms but my lease expired on June 30, 2008. My landlord asked if I would like to renew the lease and I said sure but she has not drawn up the paperwork to renew the lease for another 6 months. In...

View more questions Search