Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rink59 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2009, 04:12 PM
    I live in ks. And live on soc sec. can a credit card co get a judgement
    I have two unsecured debts of $20,000 each. I live in Kansas and have only social security check for income. One creditor has filed a lawsuit, and one has threatened to get a lien against my home. The only assets I have are my home (with mortgage) and my auto (with a balance). A bankruptcy attorney said there was no point in filing bankruptcy since I have nothing that can be attached. Any advice?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2009, 04:23 PM

They can put a judgment or lien against your home so when you go to sell it they are satisfied. It won't be attached but if it is sold then the judgment must be satisfied.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2009, 05:00 PM

You being on social security or even the state you live in has no bearing on their ability to get a judgement, merely what they can do after they get it.

They can not garnish your SS, they may be able to get a lien on your home so that when it is sold or if and when you pass away, it has to be sold to pay them off.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 18, 2009, 05:07 PM

I have to ask. Why did you rack up this debt if you knew you couldn't pay it?

$20,000 is no chump change. You had to know that you couldn't afford it, so did you incur it with the intention of never paying?

You owe the debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Opening live mail opens live messenger. [ 1 Answers ]

This is getting kind of annoying as it lags my PC... Everyime I log into my windows live mail/hotmail it opens windows live messenger, regardless whether I want to use it or not. Any ideas? I checked the Windows Live Messenger's settings but found nothing. Btw, I use IE 8 and I'm running...

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 2 Answers ]

What are rules for filing

Judgement against me, live with friends, can their stuff be taken? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone, just found this board, so I thought I'd see if anyone here can help me. I had a bad past year, and I have a LOT of creditors after me. Most are now in collection agencies. I live in Orlando, Florida. Well one that is trying to collect for household bank credit card actually went...

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

View more questions Search