Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kdsingh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2009, 08:14 AM
    Water not hot enough in shower upstairs during winters.
    The sink in the bathroom upstairs has a hot water as expected. But the shower/tab faucet does not and this is the case only in winters. Even if I run it long enough, it gets to slightly luke warm at best. Funny thing is in summers it is fine. Everything is fine downstairs and the heater is in the basement.

Please advise.

The house: 12 years old. Gas water heater I assume but not sure. I see gas pipe going into it. It was replaced 3 years back by previous owner.
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Dec 18, 2009, 09:30 AM

Is the shower valve a single valve, or double. I am guessing single. In that case, the mixing valve has a limiter on it that only allows it to be turned up so far. I suspect in the summer when it is hot out, the water gets to the shower hotter (ambient temp in the house is most likely warmer, so it does not cool off as much on the trip to your bathroom), and you also perceive it to be hotter as your skin is not as cold. In my opinion, the solution is to remove the plate covering the mixing valve and adjust the limiter to allow more hot water. I can't go much further as I don't know the details of your valve. An online search will probably give you the details on how to adjust it.
    kdsingh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2009, 09:42 AM

I think you have confirmed my hunch. I will try that, if I get stuck, I will reply with a pic of the valve... thanks for the help so far..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub/shower fixture has very little hot water [ 3 Answers ]

Tub/shower fixture has very little hot water, every where else in hse is fine, this is a two handle fixture... I don't know the name as of right now, do these twin handle fixtures have an adjustment anywhere??

No hot water in one shower but fine in the other [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all. I've just moved into my new house (its 30 years old) and I have had two new bathrooms installed. The shower in one of the bathroom works fine but the other shower only produces cold water. Everything in the bathroom is brand new so I am little concerned that there is no hot water being...

Hot shower water lost if water used elsewhere in home. [ 2 Answers ]

When I am showering, if someone else in the house flushes the toilet, I scald, or someone turns on the dishwasher or washing machine, the shower water turns cold. How can I be assured of hot water in the shower even if someone flushes, or uses the sink or whatever??

Installed new hot water heater but still no hot water just cold water [ 1 Answers ]

We installed a new hot water heat and we still do not have hot water. We were having our bathroom remodeled at the same time the water heater went out. So now the plumber is saying that the contractor probably put one of the faucets in the bath room backwards so it is prventing the hot water to go...

No hot water in shower [ 0 Answers ]

In our downstairs bathroom the hot water runs out very fast. The sink if fine. The upstairs bathroom is fine also, both shower and sink. Any ideas? Thank you.

View more questions Search