Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simmy1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2009, 04:30 AM
    Dog not eating for 7 days after traffic accident, given all clear and no broken bones
    My dog was knocked over by a car, after having bleeding removed from chest cavity and spending the night on a drip, was allowed home with no broken bones but heavy bruising, but he has not eaten and refuses food and its now 7 days since accident. He is 18 months old and still a slender (almost skinny) puppy, (male collie), the vet says just give him time but how much time will it take he is losing all his weight.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2009, 04:53 AM

When was the last time you spoke to your vet?
    7 days is far too long to go without food. If your vet still insists to give more time, get a new vet.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2009, 06:28 AM

The maximum any dog should/can go without food is 5 days.

I agree with Sariss, get another opinion.

What foods have you tried to feed him? Just his regular food or something a bit more appealing?

Is he drinking OK?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2009, 02:18 PM

Try hot chicken broth over dry food or even plain chicken broth.

The dog is tramatized. He needs to be occupied and played with. Very short walks. Take him to his favorite park. Go for a car ride, if that's what he enjoys.

Find a Vet that will put him on an IV.

Make sure he is drinking.
    simmy1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 03:48 AM

Thanks for your info, I have taken him to see a different vet, his temp was 106( apparently dog should be 101, stops eating at aroung 104 and 107 could kill him) so they took him in for 2 days so far. They have take 1 litre of bloody fluid from his chest cavity, been put on IV and given anti bioticts, getting better now. Thanks.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 05:38 AM

Good to hear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A Dancer with Broken Bones? [ 3 Answers ]

Hey. Im a dancer but as of recently, every time I do a split my knee has an excruciating pain for a couple days, as if I had hit a bone or somethinq. I put Benqay and ice on it, and then the little lump below my skin goes down but I feel it again eventually. Did I mess Up my bone? Or is it the fact...

Just beentold my little dog has diabetes and she is not eating what can I do ? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Rat Terrier with diabetes. I just brought her home to try to get her to eat. The vet offered her all kinds of foods, I went in twice to try to get her to eat, on the second time she ate a few bites of chicken and steak. But since I got her home she has not eaten anything. Brought her home...

A Dancer with Broken Bones? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey. Im a dancer but as of recently, every time I do a split my knee has an excruciating pain for a couple days, as if I had hit a bone or somethinq. I put Benqay and ice on it, and then the little lump below my skin goes down but I feel it again eventually. Did I mess Up my bone? Or is it the fact...

Traffic Accident [ 10 Answers ]

I am trying to determine who is at fault in the following accident. I was approaching a 4-way stop, and was going to turn left. There was a left turn lane available. A motorcyle behind me was also going to turn left. The motorcylce behind me got into the left turn lane before me. With my turn...

Broken bones won't heal [ 2 Answers ]

Hi 6 weeks ago I broke my collarbone and my right heel. I found out that the bones are not healing... why?? I am a healthy 38 yr old,I do smoke,I am on advair other than that I should have been healed. Doc put me on 1500mg of calcium, and 800mg of vitamin D...

View more questions Search