Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2009, 12:22 AM
    Is it OK to say Merry Chrsitmas?
    Due to political correctness it seems that it is no longer OK to wish people a Merry Christmas for some others may be offended if they hear that.
    It seems to me that perhaps that interpretation of the situation is a bit over blown.
    Example; when I was in stables a while back I was waited on my a checkout lady who has been there for quite some time and therefore very familiar to many customers.
    I wished her a Merry Christmas and she said, "And a Merry Christmas to you but I am Jewish."
    I was taken aback of a second or two and said, "I hope you have a happy Hanukkah, I didn't offend you."
    She chuckled and said, "You didn't".
    But I fear that some people might be offended and I don't want to do that BUT also I do want to wish people a Merry Christmas so that is why I asked the question; Is it OK to say Merry Christmas?
    If so, Merry Christmas to you all.
    :)Peace and kindness,:)
    Fred
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2009, 12:29 AM

I think we do tend to be too politically correct sometimes. :)
    My tack is to say happy holidays to people who are relative strangers and I save the Merry Christmas wishes for those who's affiliation I know.Or Happy Hanukkah if that be the case.
    Merry Christmas to you my friend!
    rockie100 Posts: 313, Reputation: 64

Dec 18, 2009, 01:17 AM

I think it would be incorrect of someone to take any 'well wish' offensively.
    For instance, if someone wishes me a merry Christmas... I reply "Enjoy your time with your family" or "Enjoy your time off."
    Do you think these replies are OK?
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2009, 01:35 AM

I think that christmas is the one time of the year when we can say to complete strangers 'happy christmas' or 'merry christmas' and mean it.

I think its about saying 'hello,I wish you well'.. thats not a bad thing.

Do people really take offense at a smile and good wishes?
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2009, 05:45 AM

Negitive response tends to be a difference of opinion and heart concerning the religious aspect of the holiday. And I definitely feel that instead of fearing one might offend people, we should recognize that it is only angry people in life that want to take away the magic, and joy that comes during Christmas. Those people are not happy, and don't care to have others happy. The truth is that loving people, do enjoy seeing others happy, no matter what religious aspects they follow.

So recognize Mr Grinch Who Stole Christmas as the heartless man that lacks love. And enjoy your faith, love and family during this season wishing all the same love.

I wish we could live more like Christmas season everyday of the year. Not putting away the joy, love, and true meaning, like we do the decorations.

~Merry Merry Christmas to all, and may God grace be with you all.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2009, 06:16 AM
    Sure it's OK to say Merry Christmas. Those who are offended will get offended by everything, don't worry about it. Most are like your jewish friend.
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2009, 06:18 AM

Well, first things first, Merry Christmas to you.

Secondly, it used to upset me when people said happy holidays instead of Merry Christmas, I am now understanding some now but I am very very happy when someone wishes me a Merry Christmas. Much more better than a happy holiday. I now do as artlady does, With Strangers or customers or wherever I am at, I give a polite Happy holidays so I don't offend anybody and A merry Christmas for my family, friends and coworkers.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2009, 11:39 AM

My husband always said, "Happy holidays." We were not offended when someone wished him a Merry Christmas; I was not offended when someone wished me a Happy Hanukkah.

Sometimes people go out of their way to feel insulted and everybody has to sort of grow up.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2009, 12:10 PM

I have nice mix of friends so my catholic friends I say Happy Hanukkah to. My Jewish friends I say Merry Christmas to. Everyone else gets a Happy Festivus from me. My dad though I always get him a gift card from his favorite store and I get it with a Kwanzaa theme.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2009, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    Everyone else gets a Happy Festivus from me.
    Let us begin with the airing of grievances!
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2009, 10:26 PM

Actually. I live in the hood so I just say "how ya doin". Kidding but not.

My hood has been very deadly lately so please think of me and send good vibes to make it better around my home and the homes of many people
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Dec 18, 2009, 10:36 PM

I tend to wish people happy holidays if I don't know their religious affiliation, partly because I'm not christian. If someone wishes me a merry christmas, I will return the sentiment. The same goes for a happy holidays or a happy hanukkah or a joyous yule. I think it's only polite to respect someone's religion if I know what it is, and find it most comfortable for me to be politely neutral if I don't know.

However, I am not offended if someone wishes me a merry christmas, or any other holiday I don't happen to celebrate. I don't expect anyone to be able to tell what religion I honor simply by looking at me, and see no reason to be bothered by someone who is basically wishing me happiness.
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2009, 10:52 PM

I thank all fir the very good answers so far.
    They have been heart warming for me to read.
    Take you personal pick...
    1. Happy Holidays
    2. Season's Greetings
    3. Merry Christmas
    To all,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2009, 10:59 PM

Peace and kindness is how you always express yourself and that works all year long :)
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Dec 19, 2009, 12:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    I thank all fir the very good answers so far.
    They have been heart warming for me to read.
    Take you personal pick...
    1. Happy Holidays
    2. Season's Greetings
    3. Merry Christmas
    to all,
    Fred
    you know, I've honestly never understood 'season's greetings' as a holiday well-wishing. It just seems kind of generic and less than happy, I guess. It could, theoretically, be used any time of year and there's nothing particularly well-wishing about it. Maybe I'm just weird ^_^
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 03:18 AM

Peace and kindness to you to Fred. And a Merry Christmas to you all!
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2009, 09:23 PM

hheath541,
    You have made an excellent point.
    Thanks,
    Fred
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2009, 09:50 PM

I don't take offense to whatever people wish me. But unless I know someone, I don't say anything about about the holidays period. I've heard customers get upset over merry christmas and happy holidays (because they celebrated christmas and wanted to hear merry christmas... ). So unless they say something, I act like it's any other day. But I think it's silly and sort of ruins the holiday cheer.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2009, 11:23 PM

justcurious55,
    Yes I think it does ruin the Christmas holiday season cheer for many.
    We just had a Christmas party at our pastors parsonage. The building was packed and I witnessed many smiles, laughter, and good cheer with no arguments or frouns.
    On the streets and in stores now days I see a lot of that with a few determined expressions and activities mixed in.
    I also see some checkout clerks wishing others a Merry Christmas and that, so far, always has produced a smile.
    I think that there is some sort of magic in the words "Merry Christmas."
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    rockie100 Posts: 313, Reputation: 64

Dec 21, 2009, 02:50 AM

Im feeling spirited. Just to add to the conversation... May I ask what magic, cheer, and wishing have to do with the theme of the Bible?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Merry Christmas to the ex. [ 26 Answers ]

So, for all that want to send a text and ask that question, I figured you could do it on this website instead, as it will only create confusion and break your healing process... I will start. Merry Christmas K. I hope you and your family have a wonderful and safe holiday season. I am a bit...

Merry Xmas [ 4 Answers ]

Working the graveyard shift and since it is past midnight where I am now, I just wanted to wish everyone who may celebrate Xmas, a Merry Xmas, and Happy Holidays to those who may celebrate other holidays. For everyone who is sitting there, experiencing the thoughts of having to be alone during this...

View more questions Search