Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jab08 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2009, 11:28 PM
    Puncture cut on my buddies neck this is why I don't believe in shock collars
    Hello after much desperation my niehbors put me in a spot where it was get a shock collar and train my dog or be fined for his behavior. So here is the problem in all the years of owning a pooch I have never used a shock collar because well simply put it bugs me anyway after realising I had to get one and give in I put one on my best friend. :( Now the big problem in just one day of him being annoyed and scratching at it he put a half inch deep puncture in his neck that bled and now smells. I am wondering if I clean it up can I use neosporin on it to help it heel and prevent infection if one has started in a day and if not to prevent it any help would be nice thank you in advance
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Dec 17, 2009, 11:40 PM

If it already has a funny smell then its probably too late to prevent infection and rubbing neosporin isn't going to do you much good. You need to take your dog to a vet as soon as possible before the infection gets too bad. It shouldn't be terribly expensive. A few months back my Great Dane punctured his side on a screw sticking out of a swing set and I believe it came up to less then a hundred to have it cleaned up and for antibiotics although I don't know the true severity of the wound and vets do charge differently. It's a small price to pay for our fur babies.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Dec 18, 2009, 06:31 AM

Ya I agree, vet sounds like the best answer... Maybe you should try obeidience classes?
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Dec 18, 2009, 07:13 AM

Perhaps you have the collar on to tight. The collars come with different length prongs. If properly used they should cause no harm to the dog. Talk with your vet about the proper snugness of the collar. I have used a shock collar in the past. It came with a lot of settings I only had to use the weakest setting to have a effective result. Are you using it to keep him from going to the neighbors yard or is this to keep him from barking.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2009, 09:52 AM

Yeah, our family has used shock collars often in the past. But they are not designed to be on the dog for maintained periods (usually only anti-bark collars are). The collars are to be used for correction.

Did you try the vibrating collars first? Those can sometimes have success too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to cut lead pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lead bar and would like to cut it up, how do I?

How to cut corian countertop [ 1 Answers ]

I am a do it your selfer recently ordered new appliancies and my new fridge doesn't fit need to take about an inch off both sides that over hangs the cabinets what should I use to cut?

Puppy ID Collars [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone have experience with puppy ID collars? One of my girls may be expecting another litter (to sson to tell yet) and I am considering using these. Previously, I have used little spots of coloured nail varnish to identify my pups but this is not particularly effective as it tends to wear off...

Who sings the song my neck is always red my collars still blue my hairs turning white? [ 1 Answers ]

Who sing the son my neck is always been red my collar still blue and my hairs turning white?

Shock collars,are they very good. [ 8 Answers ]

My Wife is most likely going to get one for our 11 week old great dane. This puppy is a monster he is getting a little better but not much.

View more questions Search