Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2009, 07:24 PM
    Why should I breed?
    Why not?

I had a job very similar to the one in this video while in College, and is the main reason why I am so against irresponsible breeding.

Roxie Video Productions, videographer in las vegas, nevada | joanie spina | video production services | wedding videographer

A fair warning, this video is a tear jerker and some images may be graphic to some people.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 17, 2009, 07:27 PM

I'll pass. Thanks anyway. You know my feelings on breeding. I'm old school, I search pedigrees more than DNA charts. I do search, however.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2009, 07:47 PM

I couldn't finish it - why don't you post in member discussions?

Here you're pretty much preaching to the choir.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2009, 08:19 PM

It doesn't stop people.

People see those videos and just think "well my little Fifi's puppies will have lovely homes"

There is a lady that my mum has discussions/arguements with ALL the time about genetics.
    She reckons she bred two white poodles together and got a litter of all black ones... it's genetically impossible, try telling that to an idiot. Some people, no matter how much you educate just don't get it.
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 18, 2009, 03:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    It doesn't stop people.

People see those videos and just think "well my little Fifi's puppies will have lovely homes"

There is a lady that my mum has discussions/arguements with ALL the time about genetics.
    She reckons she bred two white poodles together and got a litter of all black ones... it's genetically impossible, try telling that to an idiot. Some people, no matter how much you educate just don't get it.
    Truth. Of course with pedigrees it helps that I've known many of the dogs on the chart personally.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2009, 06:32 AM

Yes, I can look at a poodle pedigree and tell you what each dog is like, going right back to the beginning. It helps to know what dogs are regularly used and what dogs have which qualities.
    A lot of people look at pedigrees (BYBr's mostly) and think "Oh wow that one has a good name" Or oh wow that ones a Champion, it must be good... you need to know what each individual dog in the pedigree is like so you know what that line can throw.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 18, 2009, 09:52 AM

I didn't even click the link. I'm not in the mood to cry. ;)

It would be nice if the backyard breeders out there would listen. Sadly most of them come here after they've already bred their dog, asking for advice that most people would know, even if they're not breeders.

I've never bred any of my dogs. They're pets only. All of them get neutered at 6 months, Chewy is the exception and that's only because we simply haven't had the time. He'll be going in in January, poor little guy. Snip, snip. ;)
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 18, 2009, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Yes, I can look at a poodle pedigree and tell you what each dog is like, going right back to the beginning. It helps to know what dogs are regularly used and what dogs have which qualities.
    A lot of people look at pedigrees (BYBr's mostly) and think "Oh wow that one has a good name" Or oh wow that ones a Champion, it must be good... you need to know what each individual dog in the pedigree is like so you know what that line can throw.
    About fifteen percent of the time, I can even tell you which crosses had problems. Some good bloodlines just don't mesh.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is the breed of this dog? [ 15 Answers ]

She is only four weeks old and we got her from our local animal shelter. She has bowed legs and tiny ears like a bulldog. But she doesn't look like any of the bulldog puppies. She has thick, rather fuzzy, very soft fur.

What breed is my dog? [ 14 Answers ]

I don't know my dogs breed, :( When I first got Coco I was told that he was a miniature poodle and since he was a present I didn't ask many questions (my mom sent him from Costa Rica). Right now he is 9 months old and a lot of our friends think that he is a hybrid breed. My mom asked the...

What Breed/Mix is my Dog? [ 11 Answers ]

My dog's name in the picture is Brownie. I adopted him at pound and they said he was a German Shepard mix. He is now 7 months old. Can any one help me figure out what the other mix might be?

When to breed? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have a beautiful mini, dapple and want to let her have a litter of pups, but my vet is very anti-breeding and wants me to spay her at 6 months. (she is now 14 weeks). I thought I would wait to breed her when she was at least one year old, but my vet says that I should wait until she is 2...

What breed of dog do you have? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey everyone who reads this :D I was wondering what your takes on dogs are. I want to know what breed you have, if its indoor, outdoor, crate trained whatver. I want to hear funny, cute , happy etc. stories, I want to know if your overall exsperience was a good one. I'd love to hear from you...

View more questions Search