Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZiggyBlue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2009, 04:26 PM
    Dog swallowed bone
    My 12mth old blue pitbull Ziggy, swallowed a pork rib bone on 12/13. Since then he has lost weight from lack of eating. However, I have been hand feeding him baked fish fillets and bread. He has vomit at least once, he has not passed anything that I have seen. I touched his stomach and he screamed. He runs and jumps up on me a little but its evident he's in discomfort. Financially, I am unable to pay a big vet bill. Can you help me with remedies ?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 17, 2009, 04:33 PM

It sounds like the bone is lodged. There are no home remedies, only a vet visit and possibly surgery.

If you don't take him to the vet, it's likely he'll die. You'll have to find some way to get the money, it's your responsibility as a pet owner. Either that or give him to someone that can afford to pay for his care.
    ZiggyBlue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2009, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    It sounds like the bone is lodged. There are no home remedies, only a vet visit and possibly surgery.

If you don't take him to the vet, it's likely he'll die. You'll have to find some way to get the money, it's your responsibility as a pet owner. Either that or give him to someone that can afford to pay for his care.
    Ok, I will take your advice, thanks for your response. This just happened at a bad time, I have just moved us into a knew home and coming up with $1,500 - $2,500 is just almost impossible.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 17, 2009, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyBlue View Post
    Ok, I will take your advice, thanks for your response. This just happened at a bad time, I have just moved us into a knew home and coming up with $1,500 - $2,500 is just almost impossible.
    I understand, I really do. I know that vet bills can be outrageous. Ask the vet if he/she is willing to do a payment plan, most will, especially for a large bill.

This little guy really needs to get in right away. This is serious, especially if he hasn't had a bowel movement since it happened. The bone is likely lodged. It will only get worse.

Please let us know how it goes. I hope that everything works out.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2009, 07:11 PM

This needs to be addressed. Please call around and try to find a vet that will work out a payment plan.

They will probably want to do various things, mainly x-rays. Because it is a bone they should be able to see it, and not need to do a barium series to determine where the blockage is. If they determined it is a blockage, the only real option is surgery.

Please do this as soon as possible. Do not wait until morning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog swallowed pork bone [ 4 Answers ]

My 2 lab/beagle (who is probably part goat as he eats anything that he can get his paws on) swallowed a cooked pork bone. I am giving him a lot of water as well as the cotton ball treatment, but I am wondering if I should give him anything to soften his stool or accelerate the pooping?

My dog swallowed a pork rib bone, what should I do [ 6 Answers ]

My yellow lab, 95 lbs, swallowed a pork rib bone - she has swallowed a small bone in the past and her stomach acids took care of it cause nothing bad happened. Its about 4 inches long and 1/2 an inch wide. What should I do> Feed her bread?

My pup swallowed a bone.what do I do? [ 4 Answers ]

OK... so my three month puppy swallowed a bone today from a beef rib. The bone was small but still... I didn't know he had the bone, because my dumb uncle gave it to him and by the time I realized it and tried to take it away, he swallowed it whole... now I'm scared, because he hasn't thrown up yet...

Puppy swallowed beefhide bone [ 2 Answers ]

My ten week old puppy was given a thin but long piece of beefhide and swallowed it after about 20-30 minutes of chewing on it. I am pretty sure that it was still quite big when it went down. Two hours later he vomitted. Should I take him to a vet? Is there anything they can even do? Or will he...

View more questions Search