Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heronk38 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2009, 03:45 PM
    Having friend issues... Any advice?
    okay, so here's the scoop. I'm a freshman and high school drama has erupted full force upon me this year. With family issues and guy problems, the LAST thing I need it to be constantly bashed, emabarassed, hurt, controlled, and depended on so heavily by one of my best friends.

He is so dependent on me. He thinks it's up to me to supply him with something to do all the time. He has other friends, but he won't go to them. He also always comes up to me when I'm with other friends, says something degrading and embarrassing about me, and then turns the topic to him and lets me there to be left out of my own group of friends. He also verbally bashes me every time he's depressed, which is all the time.

I've told him so many times how I felt about this, and he says he has no way of controlling it, and that he just doesn't know how to stop. So recently I told him to just back off for a few weeks and we'll see how things are after then. But I don't know what to do. I mean, it's so painful to be around him, but when he's happy, he's a good friend.

does anyone have any advice for how I should handle this? Please and thanks! =(
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 17, 2009, 03:55 PM

Perhaps use a lot of humor? When he disses you, turn it around into a positive ("Your hair looks weird today." "Hmmm, I wonder if I can turn it into a Halloween idea for next year."). When he's depressed, find subjects that you know interest him and ask open-ended questions.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2009, 04:33 PM
    You sound like a caring friend, but remember - you don't have to take his abuse. Since talking to him hasn't helped, have you thought about talking to his parents? It's possible that he needs some counseling. High school should be fun - don't allow him to drag you down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friend who constantly wants advice [ 6 Answers ]

I have a friend who I used to get along with quite well, but is now really getting on my nerves. A few months back she started using Photoshop for making graphics, and since I've been working in Photoshop for a while and know quite a bit about it, she started asking me for help when she had a...

Best Friend Issues [ 7 Answers ]

Ok so I have a this friend... and she is my best friend. We have been friends for 15 years. We are pretty much sisters and love each lover like sisters would. But she is prettier than me and has always had the luck with guys that I have never had. We used to tell each other everything and we were...

Briggs & Stratton 12.5 hp issues - any advice? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Murray riding mower with a 12.5 B&S vertical shaft motor. I recently did a dumb thing & not checked the oil for a while. Well, Here's what happened. The day the oil was low I had mowed some of the lawn & all of the sudden the engine slowed down really fast. So, I dis-engaged te...

Friend poached another friend! Advice? [ 11 Answers ]

I had never had this feeling before, but last summer I felt like one of my friends was poaching another, as in they were going to be friends with each other INSTEAD of me, not in addition to me. A series of events happened in a few days (friend #1 supposed to come early to help with my...

View more questions Search