Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richdag Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2009, 02:10 PM
    Proper wiring for 240V elec wall heater with two 120V supply lines
    I have an older 240V 1000W electric wall heater (no fan, built-in thermostat) which has 2 gray wires for attaching incoming supply. One gray line goes through the thermostat then on to one end of the heating coil itself. The other gray line goes directly to the other end of the heating coil. The existing supply is two 120V lines (each with a black, white, and ground). What's the proper way to connect the 2 blacks and 2 whites to the 2 gray lines of the heater?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2009, 02:47 PM
    The proper method will be to take one of the 120 volt feeds and change the 120 volt single pole breaker to a two pole 240 breaker, reconnect the black and white to the 2 pole CB, tape the white at both ends to re-identify the white now as a hot wire, and then connect the black and white to the two gray input wires at the heater.

This will leave the other 120 volt feed for some other purpose.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2010, 07:09 AM

Also, You Cannot parallel conductors to increase Ampacity being smaller than 1/0.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to tap 120V out of 240V heater circuit [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I need to tap 120V out of the existing 240V baseboard heater wirings to use a 120V 3-prong washer (the heater itself was removed, only the wiring left. I do have a 120V outlet nearby but on the other side of the doorway so I don't want to use it) Currently there are 5 wires at the 240V...

Giant water heater wiring 120v 0r 240v [ 14 Answers ]

Hello Thank you to TKRussell and all the other folks who helped me with my sub panel problem. It is installed and working great. What a pleasure to have a place to hook up new circuits! My issue at hand now is as follows. My friend just around the corner is hooking up is water heater and...

Replace 240v Water Heater Circuit with 120v Receptacle? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 240v electric water heater that I am getting rid of (going NG tankless). Can I use the now unused 240v wire that comes from the breaker panel as a 120 volt receptacle so I can have a plug on the wall where the old electric water heater was? The new tankless water heater is going...

120V heater tape off a 240V source. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My question is very similar to HandyJohn's and much my question was answered in is post. Mostly verifying my suspicion of needing a step down transformer here. Just wondering if you know of any simpler options I may be overlooking outside of running a dedicated line. Here's my...

Wiring 120V light from 240V source [ 6 Answers ]

I currently have a well house that has a 240V source on 12-2 wire powering a submersible well pump. I would like to wire in a 120V light. Can this be done using the 12-2 wire already in place or do I need to remove the 12-2 wire and install 12-3 wire? (It is approximately 60ft from the main house...

View more questions Search