Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EssenceX123 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2009, 08:32 AM
    Singing as a hobbie
    I LOVE singing and you have no idea how much I love singing, I usually sing while playing my guitar, I'm 13 years old, and I really want to be a singer. YET I still have problems with my voice, you see, when I'm at home practising I sing really well and stuff, but when I try to sing in public or at school something happens to my voice, it becomes weaker and I can't get to higher notes as I do at home.
    I've never really took any singing lessons.
    Anyone got any advices for me?:rolleyes:
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2009, 10:01 AM

Take singing lessons.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2009, 01:17 AM
    Hi, EssenceX123!

Are there opportunities for you to sing in front of people where you go to school, please?

Thanks!
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Dec 19, 2009, 02:11 AM

Sounds like nerves. Being stressed or nervous makes your muscles tense, including your vocal cords. When your vocal cords tense up you have to work more for the volume and range you usually have when you're relaxed. You can actually damage your voice that way.

You need to relax. Try singing in front of people more, even just family and friends. Eventually you'll become more comfortable and it'll become easier. Also, if you can take singing lessons, or even join a choir, you'll learn a lot more from hands-on experience than any of us can give you over the Internet.

Dec 19, 2009, 10:26 PM

WOW I think my nervousness is the problem because my voice seems to be shivering or somewhat, because I had this performance with the guitar last week and I screwed it up, it wasn't so nice, not to me but I think people liked it.
    anyway thanks soooooo much for the help ^ ^
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2009, 10:57 PM
    Hi again, EssenceX123!

If you get "out there" and practice performing in front of people, you'll find that you'll get used to it and be able to control the problems with your voice.

That would be the first thing to overcome, just getting used to performing in front of an audience.

Thanks!

Dec 20, 2009, 04:26 AM

Thank YOU, I'll try performing in front of an audience more often, it's just that I should find more opportunities to sing which is the prob I don't really find much. But I'll try as much as I can to find places.

Thanks for the help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 20, 2009, 02:24 PM

First and most important, if at all possible take voice and music lessons, learn music theory, learn voice control, and pitch.

The sing in front of people when possible, if you parents will let you, often nursing homes will allow you to come visit and sing for their members
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 05:06 PM
    Hi again, EssenceX123!

Do you have music classes and/or a chorus or choir at school?

Thanks!

Dec 21, 2009, 07:00 AM

Our school is way too crapy to provide these things, and I can't find singing lessons elsewhere... can't I just get them online or something?
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Dec 21, 2009, 09:44 AM

An online singing lesson will never be the same as having someone in the room with you telling you what you're doing wrong and helping you correct it.
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2009, 10:32 PM
    Yes, online wouldn't be the best choice. You would need the feedback of a live teacher who can see and hear what you're doing.

Are you saying that there is no sort of music instruction at all provided where you go to school? If there might not be, maybe you could ask some teachers if you and some of your friends could start a chorus or choir and ask if there might be a teacher who could help you?

Do you attend a church? If you might not, are there a number of churches around where you are?

Thanks!

Dec 22, 2009, 06:50 AM

well, I'm not christian, and I liked your idea about forming a chorus, I'll consider it.

thanks ^ ^
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2009, 12:29 AM
    There are also choirs in many non-Christian types of churches. There might be a choir director at one of those types of churches who might be willing to teach you.

Also, if you have a lot of teachers at school, chances are, that at least one of them will have some background in music and be willing to help a group of you.

Thanks!

Dec 23, 2009, 04:02 AM

All right thanks a lot man.
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2009, 04:05 AM
    You're welcome!

I'm online now. I wanted to let you know, just in case your might have any other questions about subjects that concern music.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Singing [ 9 Answers ]

How do I get myself out there and show people how good I am at singing?

Hobbie Wanted! [ 19 Answers ]

Hello, I am a 12 year old boy. I enjoy playing on my Xbox 360, watching TV and playing on the computar. I have friends, but I choose not to go out with them. My mum has now told me that there are new house rules, no Xbox at all and no TV before 12:00 on a school/weekday, which I think is fair. She...

NEED a hobbie! [ 24 Answers ]

What are some common hobbies for children on 12 years of age? HELP!

Hobbie with my son [ 5 Answers ]

My son is 14 years old and usually comes to stay with me on the weekends. He is consumed with XBOX Live. If it was up to him, he'd be in his room the entire day. It's winter now and so offering to play catch is not something he'd respond to . What sort of hobbie can I do with him?

View more questions Search