Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BoinLV Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2009, 12:07 PM
    Water main off, water heater vacation, leave recirc pump on winter?
    Leaving Las Vegas house for 10 days in January - basically want to insure no pipe freeze (many in outside walls) without draining entire house. The house will remain heated to ~55Your Question Title:

Please enter your question title with only 85 characters long.
    Describe Your Question
    Provide as many details about your question so the community can fully understand your issue when they try to help you. Remember, you can also upload images, video, add hyperlinks and color to your details.
    Thanks for your help in helping you ;-)
    FontsArialArial BlackArial NarrowBook AntiquaCentury GothicComic Sans MSCourier NewFixedsysFranklin Gothic MediumGaramondGeorgiaImpactLucida ConsoleLucida Sans UnicodeMicrosoft Sans SerifPalatino LinotypeSystemTahomaTimes New RomanTrebuchet MSVerdana

75 gal gas heater, unheated garage. Want to insure against outside wall pipes freezing, without draining entire house. Vacation setting should only be 60-70°F, and the recirc loop would effectively be closed - there shouldn't be any danger of evaporative or pressure loss of water, over 10 days, right? Don't want to trash water heater. Thanks in advance.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 05:20 PM

Kind of new to this site I see. You tell us a great deal but not all we need. So is the water heater actually located in the garage and what temps will LV be seeing that time of the year. My understanding is that there are no months with average night time temperature at or below freezing.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 16, 2009, 07:01 PM

there shouldn't be any danger of evaporative or pressure loss of water, over 10 days, right? Don't want to trash water heater
    Your water heater should be just fine. You can keep the recirculating system on if you wish but I don't believe it's necessary. Have a great vacation! Tom PS. We enjoyed temperatures in the 80's here in Florida today, see you out at the beacm!
    BoinLV Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2009, 08:25 PM

Thanks, guys. Many don't realize @ 2500 ft elevation, temps here do descend to the 20's and teens at times (unusual, admittedly). The unheated garage probably wouldn't get below 40°F. Although virtually all of the terminal fixtures are supplied by pipes in outside walls, we'll keep the interior at ~ 60°F. I think I'll shut off the house (as well as outdoor) water, and disconnect power to the recirc pump. That would at least save a 75 gal leak, if a hot supply line burst while we're away.

Many thanks for your consideration and expertise. God, I love the web!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physical mounting of hot water recirc pump [ 6 Answers ]

I purchased a grundfos recirculation pump for my hot water system and I'm planning the installation. The thing is pretty heavy and there are no attach points to mount the pump itself. I'm installing it on a wall with 16" center studs. With only 1/2" copper spanning the 16" with the pump...

Shutting off hot water heater and main water supply [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a cabin that has well water and a hot water heater that is run off the oil furnace. I shut off the well tank when I left but forgot to shut off the hot water heater. Does anyone know if I can damage the heater by having the main water shut off and leaving the water heater on?

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Shut water main to house, what happens to hot water heater [ 7 Answers ]

I've seen similar questions but didn't see the exact answer I was looking for. I want to know what happens if I shut off the water to the house and Go on vacation and leave the hot water heater on and then a leak in A hot water faucet develops. Would the heater tank drain, overheat, and Cause...

Selling house: turn off water heater/water in winter [ 1 Answers ]

I am in mid-Michigan where winters can be long and cold. I am selling a house, which is vacant, and I am looking for advice on if I should drain the water pipes and turn off the gas water heater during the winter months. I would rather not pay high gas bills to heat water that I am not using. The...

View more questions Search